Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/07/30 11:25:14 UTC

[ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
of Apache Cocoon.

Check out the Cocoon website http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1 for more
information.

Apache Cocoon is an XML framework that raises the usage of
XML and XSLT technologies for server applications to a new level.
Designed for performance and scalability around pipelined SAX
processing, Cocoon offers a flexible environment based on the
separation of concerns between content, logic and style.
A centralized configuration system and sophisticated caching
top this all off and help you to create, deploy and maintain
rock-solid XML server applications.

Today, most web engineers consider XML as the key for an improved
web model and web site managers see XML as a way to reduce costs
and ease production. In an era where services rather than software
will be key for economic success, a better and less expensive model
for web publishing will be a winner, especially one based on open
standards.

The Apache Cocoon Team

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107211/

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 30/07/2003 11:25 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
> of Apache Cocoon.

... which was again a masterly execution of the
CaRsTeN-3000-meepzoid-release-bot. Thanks!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
>of Apache Cocoon.

Champagne !
Pop! Pshiiiiiit ! Glup, glup, glup ! Hips !

Congrats to all.

Sylvain

RE: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> I went in afterwards and edited README.html, .htaccess and HEADER.html
> in order to downsize and rationalize the download area
> (http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/) - please crosscheck.

Thanks! great!

> Carsten, I found some files (a symlink) which aren't chmod g+w - could
> you change these?
No :) These are symlinks and afaik it's not possible to change them or there
is a trick. A usual chmod doesn't work.

> lrwxr-xr-x   1 cziegeler  cocoon    32 Jul 29 02:16
> cocoon-2.1rc1-src.tar.gz
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 cziegeler  cocoon    29 Jul 29 02:16 cocoon-2.1rc1-src.zip
>
> Also, the +x bit shouldn't be set on .sig files in the SOURCES directory.

Ups, yepp, removed them.

Usually you should be able to modify yourself the rights as they
all have group access.

Thanks
Carsten

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 31/07/2003 14.27:
> I've updated it now using px instead of em, (the
> only way to route around the DPI screen incompatibilities between win
> and mac)
>
> please check if this works for you.

Works, thanks  :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [OT] Font size, Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
>> No, to all Mozilla users. Because there are many websites having to
>> little fonts. For example www.spiegel.de is a bit strenuous to read in
>> default font size,
>
> Looks good to me, btw. I hadn't understand a word, but size is good :)
> What I can't read is www.distrowatch.com without pressing Ctrl-+  *at
> least* once (killer feature this ctrl-+!). Sometimes I do it twice ;-)

:-)

> Mozilla is gaining market share, btw. Apache.org is a geek site and you
> can see mozilla share around 10%+ and growing (see stats), but recently
> in the press they also noticed growing mozilla share. After some time
> those sites will have to change.

At www.heise.de the Gecko engine is already at 25%:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/anw-06.08.03-003/

I hate it especially when homebanking sites force me to use another
browser. www.dab.com even worked only with the Microsoft Java VM, they
now switched to a HTML solution - after two years I asked the first
time. www.diba.de has not been working with Gecko until now, don't know
if it will change. www.bw-bank.de used the Netscape plugin interface,
but now they switched to an applet - and this does not work with Gecko.
What a hard world ... ;-)

Joerg

[OT] Font size, Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 01:27 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 14:05 Europe/Rome, Nicola Ken Barozzi
> wrote:
>

>> Steven Noels wrote, On 31/07/2003 13.32:

>>> looking very nice, thanks!
>>
>> On Firebird 0.6 the links are so smaaaal...
>
> yeah, you're right. I've updated it now using px instead of em, (the
> only way to route around the DPI screen incompatibilities between win
> and mac)

Sorry ... I have not actually looked, but you made me think of this

I find if you set a {font-size: 10px} "before" using {width: 1em}
(etc.) em works as it should
ie. 'em' scales from the base font-size

I use this a lot on http://www.iniva.org and find most browsers (PC
MSIE has no scale facility) can scale the site up and down cleanly. ie.
we want both the font size and layout to scale by the same proportions.

hope this helps

regards Jeremy

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote, On 31/07/2003 13.32:
>
>> On 31/07/2003 13:27 Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> I removed references to the "publishing framework" and added a CSS
>>> stylesheet to both the cocoon directory and lenya's using a
>>> <head>inside<body> hack (dirty, but it works on all the browsers I
>>> tried and it downgrades nicely).
>> looking very nice, thanks!
>
> On Firebird 0.6 the links are so smaaaal...

yeah, you're right. I've updated it now using px instead of em, (the
only way to route around the DPI screen incompatibilities between win
and mac)

please check if this works for you.

> --
Stefano.

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 31/07/2003 13:27 Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I removed references to the "publishing framework" and added a CSS
> stylesheet to both the cocoon directory and lenya's using a
> <head>inside<body> hack (dirty, but it works on all the browsers I tried
> and it downgrades nicely).

looking very nice, thanks!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003, at 12:50 Europe/Rome, Steven Noels wrote:

> On 30/07/2003 11:25 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
>> of Apache Cocoon.
>
> I went in afterwards and edited README.html, .htaccess and HEADER.html
> in order to downsize and rationalize the download area
> (http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/) - please crosscheck.

I removed references to the "publishing framework" and added a CSS
stylesheet to both the cocoon directory and lenya's using a
<head>inside<body> hack (dirty, but it works on all the browsers I
tried and it downgrades nicely).

if you see problems yell.

--
Stefano.

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 30/07/2003 11:25 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
> of Apache Cocoon.

I went in afterwards and edited README.html, .htaccess and HEADER.html
in order to downsize and rationalize the download area
(http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/) - please crosscheck.

Carsten, I found some files (a symlink) which aren't chmod g+w - could
you change these?

lrwxr-xr-x   1 cziegeler  cocoon    32 Jul 29 02:16 cocoon-2.1rc1-src.tar.gz
lrwxr-xr-x   1 cziegeler  cocoon    29 Jul 29 02:16 cocoon-2.1rc1-src.zip

Also, the +x bit shouldn't be set on .sig files in the SOURCES directory.

Thanks!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:49:16 -0400
Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >The amazing thing is, you will be able to find this announcement from
> >http://jakarta.apache.org/
> >http://jakarta.apache.org/site/elsewhere.html#20030730.1
> >in a few hours, too.

> Can somebody writeup something in our "news"? Jakarta will have our
> news, and our news won't... Hm

> Vadim

Sure. It seems that there's no news about Cocoon 2.1 R.C. at
http://xml.apache.org/news.html

... Why jakarta?? it's because I have a karma of jakarta-site2
and do not have that of xml-site. That's all ;-)

# I'm not sure where I can put the patch for this news.

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

The amazing thing is, you will be able to find this announcement from
http://jakarta.apache.org/
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/elsewhere.html#20030730.1
in a few hours, too.

Congratulations, The Apache Cocoon Development Team!

Best Regards,

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

--

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:27:48 -0600 (CST)
(Subject: Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate)
"Antonio Gallardo" <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Congratulations!
> By the way, It is amazing! Nice marketing :)
>
> Antonio Gallardo
>
> Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
> > The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
> > of Apache Cocoon.
> >
> > Check out the Cocoon website http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1 for more
> > information.
> >
> > Apache Cocoon is an XML framework that raises the usage of
> > XML and XSLT technologies for server applications to a new level.
> > Designed for performance and scalability around pipelined SAX
> > processing, Cocoon offers a flexible environment based on the
> > separation of concerns between content, logic and style.
> > A centralized configuration system and sophisticated caching
> > top this all off and help you to create, deploy and maintain
> > rock-solid XML server applications.
> >
> > Today, most web engineers consider XML as the key for an improved
> > web model and web site managers see XML as a way to reduce costs
> > and ease production. In an era where services rather than software will
> > be key for economic success, a better and less expensive model for web
> > publishing will be a winner, especially one based on open
> > standards.
> >
> > The Apache Cocoon Team
> >

> > Carsten
> >
> > Carsten Ziegeler
> > Open Source Group, S&N AG
> > http://radio.weblogs.com/0107211/

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Just one little problem below:
>
> > In an era where services rather than software
> > will be key for economic success, a better and less expensive model
> > for web publishing will be a winner, especially one based on open
> > standards.
>
> We must change this reference to web publishing.
>
> I'll write something for this today and present it here.

Great! Thanks, we could change the announcement then.

Carsten

Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Release Candidate

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003, at 11:25 Europe/Rome, Carsten Ziegeler
wrote:

> The Apache Cocoon team is proud to announce the new release
> of Apache Cocoon.

Great. Thanks Carsten.

Just one little problem below:

> In an era where services rather than software
> will be key for economic success, a better and less expensive model
> for web publishing will be a winner, especially one based on open
> standards.

We must change this reference to web publishing.

I'll write something for this today and present it here.

> --
Stefano.