Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by wolfgang haefelinger <wh...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/27 09:54:57 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_autoindex

Hi there,

mod_autoindex confuses me theses days. I'm running 2.2.11 (MacOS X via
MacPorts) and 2.2.8 (Ubuntu). I'm scratching the head over issues
listed below.

1.  By reading the documentation [1], I'm getting the impression that,
for example, FancyIndexing, is off by default ("..If the FancyIndexing
option is given with the IndexOptions directive"). This appears not to
be the case on 2.2.8 while it is true for 2.2.11. On my 2.2.8 server,
I can also see XHTML and Html tables - all things which I believe
should not be there by default (otherwise I don't understand how
incremental options should work). Well, the documentation is also not
particular helpful.

So I start wondering
1a. What is the default behaviour of mod_autoindex?
1b. What might be the initial "value" of IndexOptions?

2. I wonder about "incremental" index options cause they work using
2.2.8 while they are disabled (?) on 2.2.11. According to the
documentation would, for example,

  IndexOptions FancyIndexing -FancyIndexing

turn fancy indexing off (i.e. no sorting for names, sizes etc). My
findings are different: On my 2.2.11 system, all incremental options
are *ignored*!  The line above simply turns fancy indexing on.

I wonder whether this is a bug (hardly?) or whether I can turn
incremental options on or off.

The documentation (again) confuses me. It states

 "Apache 1.3.3 introduced some significant changes in the handling of
IndexOptions directives.".

Honestly, I couldn't care less what Apache 1.x did. In a documentation
for a Apache 2.x product I would like to  be informed about what's in
my version. It is not clear whether that 1.3.3 change made it into 2.x
or not. Looking at 2.2.8 => yes, looking at 2.2.11 => no.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_autoindex.html

Greetz.