Posted to general@axis.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2017/10/11 20:50:29 UTC

Axis move to the Attic (was: Board concerns over Axis project reports - README)

(bcc: general@, c-dev@, board@ for FYI)

Since there hasn't been any response to the below email by any PMC
members (or indeed any community members), it may be time Axis to go to
the Apache Attic, and turn the entire project read-only.

To be blunt: if there are not three active PMC members to ensure that
the board has quarterly reports and the project could vote on a
potential security release, my estimate is that the board will move the
entire Axis project to the Attic no later than the November board
meeting, possibly earlier.

I strongly urge any PMC members or even committers on the project to
step up, propose a new PMC chair, and work on a report for the board ASAP.

---- Some perspective on why board reports are important ----

In the governance model at the ASF the board delegates responsibility
for managing projects to PMCs. To enable to board to provide oversight
across the foundation, the the PMCs aretasked with providing the board
with a quarterly report on the health of the project. The board has
noticed that the reports for XXX have been missed for a number
of months.

The reports to the board are normally written by the PMC chair but all
PMC members have an individual responsibility to ensure that a report is
submitted. If the PMC chair is not available then any PMC member can
submit the report. If you need help with this process, please reach out
to board@apache.org

Please ensure that a report for XXX is submitted to the board for the
next meeting.

If the PMC chair is not going to be available for an extended period of
time it may make sense to rotate the PMC chair. Rotating the PMC chair
does not mean the current chair has failed. People's situations and
interests change, and rotation is good as it allows more people to
become familiar with that role. Again, if assistance is required with
this process, please feel free to reach out to board@apache.org

As projects mature, they will naturally reach a point where activity
reduces to a level that the project is no longer sustainable. At Apache,
projects reach this stage when there are no longer 3 active PMC members
providing oversight. Projects that reach this stage are placed in the
attic [1].  If XXX has reached this point, please reach out to the Attic
project to arrange transfer. On the other hand, if your project is
mostly dormant but still has at least three active PMC members it can
stay in that state for as long as needed. If your project is in such a
state, please mention that in your report and verify the PMC's state at
regular intervals.

Finally, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out to
board@apache.org

----

On 2017-09-20 10:31, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote: > (Note
mixed private/public lists)

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Axis move to the Attic (was: Board concerns over Axis project reports - README)

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 10/11/2017 10:23 PM, Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
> I agree with Robert, Andreas is really active and he was able to push
> forward a release few weeks back as well.
>
> I really like him to be the PMC chair and we can give required support
> to him

This is clearly the preferred outcome. Please make it happen.

Thanks.

--Rich

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM, robertlazarski .
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> with regards to Axiom:
>>
>> i vote to split Axiom from Axis and keep Axiom as a top-level ASF
>> project..this would allow devs to swap Axiom with other
>> StaxParsers..thoughts?
>>
>> also it is my belief Rampart should be split off to top-level ASF project
>> hopefully to participate in more recent advances in PKI..thoughts?
>>
>> /BR/
>>
>> Martin
>

> Martin is a curious fellow, he is not an Axis2 committer and he opens
> several non-sense Jira's a month that are immediately closed.
>
> After years of this behavior, its been mentioned by Andreas on the mailing
> list that he is simply trolling. I can say its very odd behavior.

I think it's time to ban him from this mailing list. That's probably
better for everyone involved.

Posted by "robertlazarski ." <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
the advantage of using axis is the ease of implementing a service with aar/mar compared to CXF

Also Axis2 is much easier to implement than AWS (although AWS has obvious advantages with shopping-carts)

i had some problems porting Axis as an ESB publisher and wound up
replacing Axis aars with CXF for a bank with worldwide operations that needed esb (with offices in brasil no less)

Unfortunately when someone is over-worked and over-stressed (and under-appreciated)
a short curt response can be elicited..maybe that should be mitigated?

I think we should pull in the PMC Glen Daniels on what he thinks ..maybe Ted Husted can make some

suggestions to work with MuleESB? also ReleaseManager dims is working with multilingual smartphones ..any advice on porting Axis services to work with smartphones..dims?

________________________________
I was waiting for Andreas Veithen to reply since he is by far the most active contributor to Axis2 currently.

I have a vested interest in Axis2 going forward as its used extensively by the company I work for. The CVE questions that come up periodically with Axis2 and its dependencies are essential for the project to continue, and I don't expect being in the attic will allow Axis2 to be used in production projects.

I have been a committer to Axis2 since 2006. I contributed the Spring Framework support to Axis2, ported the SOAP Monitor from Axis1 to Axis2, and wrote some docs explaining both of these and also the Ant commands. This was all years go.

Since then I did respond to some recent security questions regarding the SOAP Monitor, and I do help on the user list around once a month.

From my perspective, we have at least 3 active members as we have had several releases this year already. No problems voting. Because of any CVE's I always run the latest version and dependencies, so I do test the releases.

Posted by "robertlazarski ." <ro...@gmail.com>.
I was waiting for Andreas Veithen to reply since he is by far the most
active contributor to Axis2 currently.

I have a vested interest in Axis2 going forward as its used extensively by
the company I work for. The CVE questions that come up periodically with
Axis2 and its dependencies are essential for the project to continue, and I
don't expect being in the attic will allow Axis2 to be used in production
projects.

I have been a committer to Axis2 since 2006. I contributed the Spring
Framework support to Axis2, ported the SOAP Monitor from Axis1 to Axis2,
and wrote some docs explaining both of these and also the Ant commands.
This was all years go.

Since then I did respond to some recent security questions regarding the
SOAP Monitor, and I do help on the user list around once a month.

From my perspective, we have at least 3 active members as we have had

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.
I wasn't subscribed to java-dev, so it bounced there.  Resending in case
any on that list are in a similar situation.

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.