Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/26 09:58:59 UTC

DHT Endpoint Resolver

Hi all,
as part of my activities in this period..there's to create a DHT
Endpoint Resolver (using overlay weaver) in order to provide a
federated scalable SCA Registry. Having the code in tribe-endpoint,
it's quite easy to do. However a dht needs a set of bootstrap hosts.
The crucial point is what's the best way to allow a user to set these
hosts, inorder to permit each resolver to join the DHT.
Thank you,
Giorgio.

--
Quiero ser el rayo de sol que cada día te despierta
para hacerte respirar y vivir en me.

Re: DHT Endpoint Resolver

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
> One approach was suggested at the bottom of the email:
> http://apache.markmail.org/message/doxwldv2ddkmah5s
It's ok but it should be configurable by the user.
> So use elements of the domain URI to configure things like hosts that
> are part of the domain. I like this approach as it seems simple and
> easy for users and most other suggestions have required yet another
> XML config file.
Yep. It's what i'm trying to avoid (a lot of config files are
misleading for the user).
I'll be happy to use an exist one if it's feasible.
> I've started some coding for this as part of the
> tomcat integration though its far from complete yet, I'd be happy to
> help get something going.
The idea here is to extend tomcat config file adding a further context
in order to get
multicastPort=1048 and
staticRoutes="http://9.167.239.57:4321,http://9.167.10.123:4567
isn't it?

Re: DHT Endpoint Resolver

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Giorgio Zoppi<gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> as part of my activities in this period..there's to create a DHT
> Endpoint Resolver (using overlay weaver) in order to provide a
> federated scalable SCA Registry. Having the code in tribe-endpoint,
> it's quite easy to do. However a dht needs a set of bootstrap hosts.
> The crucial point is what's the best way to allow a user to set these
> hosts, inorder to permit each resolver to join the DHT.
> Thank you,
> Giorgio.
>
> --
> Quiero ser el rayo de sol que cada día te despierta
> para hacerte respirar y vivir en me.
> "Favola -Moda".

One approach was suggested at the bottom of the email:
http://apache.markmail.org/message/doxwldv2ddkmah5s

So use elements of the domain URI to configure things like hosts that
are part of the domain. I like this approach as it seems simple and
easy for users and most other suggestions have required yet another
XML config file. I've started some coding for this as part of the
tomcat integration though its far from complete yet, I'd be happy to
help get something going.

   ...ant

Re: DHT Endpoint Resolver

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Commited in the simple class that does the endpoint stuff on overlay
weaver. It needs a bit of work and a correct testcase.
Giorgio.

Re: DHT Endpoint Resolver

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I also added a few slides to the wiki page to illustrate my thoughts on the
players and their relationships for the Domain/Node story.

Thanks,
Raymond

Re: DHT Endpoint Resolver

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
2009/8/26 Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>:
> Hi Girogio
>
> "a dht needs a set of bootstrap hosts.". What's a bootstrap host? I
> took a quick look at the Overlay Weaver site but it's not immediately
> obvious what this means. Can you say what this means in the context of
> Tuscany nodes. Does a Tuscany node need to know...
>
> - it's own URL?
It needs to know at least a dht node (hostname,port) where to join
with joinOverlay
One or more Ow-nodes could work as dht bootstrap nodes. For example:
 dht.joinOverlay(joinAddress, joinPort);
 dht.put(ID.getID(), value,  TTL);

Ideally it might be in the infrastructure a way to discover or detect
a bootstrap node, a dht resolver app. In the context of tuscany nodes,
each nodes, when they boots..joins the DHT
with a joinOverlay and put/get endpoints on it by something similar to
ReplicatedEndpointRegistry.
This way of proceding allows to the domain to be spread over the
internet: you needs only a couple (joinAddress, joinPort) = hostname,
port to share your endpoints. This is my functional vision of this
stuff. And the first step. As second step you might enforce a shared
secret o a way of authenticate joins to provide security.
My scenario is:
Suppose to be a big company which needs to share its business
services: this company
is made of small corporation and each corp has its local SCA domain.
Using an overlay
network will enable easily to share endpoints for each business
service domain. It just needs only  a shared secret.
Just 1c.

Cheers,
Giorgio.

Re: DHT Endpoint Resolver

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Girogio

"a dht needs a set of bootstrap hosts.". What's a bootstrap host? I
took a quick look at the Overlay Weaver site but it's not immediately
obvious what this means. Can you say what this means in the context of
Tuscany nodes. Does a Tuscany node need to know...

- it's own URL?
- the URLs of all other nodes?
- a URL of some other (central) bootstrap host?
- nothing at all about the location of the DHT?

Regards

Simon