Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Marek Mosiewicz <ma...@talex.com.pl> on 2001/12/18 11:45:01 UTC

XQuery in dbXML

I have recently found dbXML and I think it is great idea to have open source
XML database. I would like to know some more about query language. As i know
dbXML uses XPath. Is there any plan to support XQuery. I would also know
more about XUpdate. Is it submitted as standard to W3 ? I beleive that I
found somethink about it in W3.

Becoming OT Re: Transquery (Was - Re: XQuery in dbXML)

Posted by Peter Elliott <ax...@paradise.net.nz>.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:13:58 -0700
Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com> wrote:

> This hasn't really been considered.
>
> My personal opinion on it is that XSL-T is awfully cumbersome to write for
> use as a query language. XUpdate is cumbersome enough and I actually find
> Transquery to be even worse. I'm not a particularly big fan of XQuery
> either, but the syntax is at least a little more friendly, even if still
> rather cumbersome. The fact that it reinvents the wheel is a separate
> issue.

Yes. this cumbersomeness/here-goes-the-wheel-again is something that 'bothers' a lot of people, self included, not just with XQuery either but a lot of the w3c specs of recent times. going by traffic on xmldev and places i think there's a real and growing need for an effort to extract whatever ore exists in the path/link/pointer/query/x spec-mountain and ....
but then who has the resources, not to mention the inclination, to undertake such a Sisyphean task?

fortunately(?) we do have the Best Practice guidelines to help out when the specghetti gets a bit too much to handle.

cheers
peter
PS: congrats to you and tom on succesful initiation to apache nation.

can any body help me (this Problem with crimson.jar)

Posted by Srinivas Suram <sr...@pinnacleinfo-sys.com>.
  Hi,
Iam a Java developer woking in Pinnacle Info Solutions,Chennai,India on
server side of a palmtop based project.
I have to handle incoming requests(XML stream) coming over XML-RPC from
various devices.
Iam using sun's crimson parser using JAXP to parse XML documents.Iam using
SAX for parsing
When i get an XML String with UTF-16LE XMLReader is unable to parse and is
saying that the
"Document Root Element is missing".
The Xml String received from Client(WinCE)is as follows:
String sXml="< ? x m l   v e r s i o n = \"1.0\" ? >< t l m e s s a g e > <
t l v e r s i o n > 1 . 0 < / t l v e r s i o n > < t l a p pl i c a t i o n
> A P P I D 1 2 < / t l a p p l i c a t i o n > < t l c l i e nt I d > C E C
I D 1 < / t l c l i e n t I d > < / t l m e s s a g e >";
The String is converted to InputStream using:
InputStream is = new ByteArrayInputStream(sXml.getBytes());
Hashtable hT = XmlHandler.getParsedData(is);

Iam sending the code snippet of the method that is used to parse the Xml
InputStream

		public Hashtable getParsedData(InputStream is)
		{
	      XMLReader xmlReader = null;
		SAXParserFactory spf = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();
		SAXParser saxParser = spf.newSAXParser();
		// Get the encapsulated SAX XMLReader
            xmlReader = saxParser.getXMLReader();
		xmlReader.setContentHandler(new XMLHandler());
            InputSource ist = new InputSource(is);
		xmlReader.parse(ist);
		}

When i use Xerces.jar the SAX parser is able to parse the same Xml String
When i set the encoding as ist.setEncoding("UTF-16") an exception like
"Missing Byte Order Mark" is coming.

with regards
Srinivas.s

Joins in XML

Posted by Marek Mosiewicz <ma...@talex.com.pl>.
Is there any way to define join in XPath query. I know that there is a lot
of examples where I can include data as collection in main XML document but
any way sometimes there is need to have join to independent documents. How
could I do that ?

Re: Transquery (Was - Re: XQuery in dbXML)

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
This hasn't really been considered.

My personal opinion on it is that XSL-T is awfully cumbersome to write for
use as a query language. XUpdate is cumbersome enough and I actually find
Transquery to be even worse. I'm not a particularly big fan of XQuery
either, but the syntax is at least a little more friendly, even if still
rather cumbersome. The fact that it reinvents the wheel is a separate
issue.

I'd be happy to change my mind if an implementation were to emerge that
proved usable.

On Tuesday, December 18, 2001, at 04:59 PM, Peter Elliott wrote:

> Hi all
> just a little footnote to Murray's succinct summation of the XQuery
> situation (pardon the alliteration).
>
> Evan Lenz has been working on a spec for what he's called Transquery -
> which aims to provide a means of manipulating xml database content using
> xslt.
> more info is available at:
> 	http://transquery.org
>
> This is still in its early stages and most of the action has been taking
> place on the mail list. archives for those interested are at:
> 	 http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/transquery-discuss
>
> Has anyone here been looking at this with regards to possible use in/with
> xindice?
>
> cheers
> peter
>
> ===============================
> Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:46:08 -0800
> Murray Altheim <mu...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> {...... massive_snip .......]
>> There's also XSLT itself as a
>> mechanism for manipulating XML database content.

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/

Transquery (Was - Re: XQuery in dbXML)

Posted by Peter Elliott <ax...@paradise.net.nz>.
Hi all

Re: XQuery in dbXML

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
Murray Altheim wrote:
> Marek Mosiewicz wrote:
> >
> > On dbXML mail archive I found some discussion of support for update in
> > XQuery. Is there any chance that it will incorporate  dbXML XUpdate ? It is
> > very important to have one standard language for query and manipulation like
> > SQL in RDBMS world.
>
> My knowledge of the W3C XML Query Working Group would tend to suggest that
> XUpdate is not in consideration, though it's been months since I paid any
> attention to their mail list. They're very far along in their process and
> the W3C does not typically take open source projects under their wing
> given that it's a vendor consortium and this would require that a specific
> vendor champion XUpdate. It's possible, but pretty unlikely.

The XQuery WG does have a proposal on the table for a very simple update
syntax for XQuery, but it's a back-burner thing that will wait until
after XQuery is complete to get any attention at all, which means it'll
be quite a long time before you see it.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Developer - Apache Xindice (formerly dbXML)

Re: XQuery in dbXML

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@sun.com>.
Marek Mosiewicz wrote:

> On dbXML mail archive I found some discussion of support for update in
> XQuery. Is there any chance that it will incorporate  dbXML XUpdate ? It is
> very important to have one standard language for query and manipulation like
> SQL in RDBMS world.

My knowledge of the W3C XML Query Working Group would tend to suggest that
XUpdate is not in consideration, though it's been months since I paid any
attention to their mail list. They're very far along in their process and
the W3C does not typically take open source projects under their wing
given that it's a vendor consortium and this would require that a specific
vendor champion XUpdate. It's possible, but pretty unlikely.

As for there being only one query and manipulation language, I understand
the argument but I don't agree. XQuery is essentially SQL shallowly wrapped
in XML garb, as the W3C WG has been lobbied hard by the database companies
represented there. If you look at it you'll realize it's not really XML at
all, except as a shell for SQL statements. I know a few people at Sun who
consider it a complete failure in terms of *being* XML. It requires a
specialized, non-XML parser. If you were Oracle or some company that already
had a SQL database implementation, you'd be happy with XQuery.

XUpdate by comparison is actually XML syntax, was designed with a smaller
footprint in mind. It's a lot easier to deal with in terms of both
implementation and documentation. And yes it has fewer features.

There's certainly room for both of these approaches, and losing one of them
would lose one valid approach (the heavyweight, SQL approach vs. the light-
weight XML approach) to database updates. There's also XSLT itself as a

Re: XQuery in dbXML

Re: XQuery in dbXML

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@sun.com>.