Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Ramsey <da...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/12 21:09:41 UTC

JBoss AOP

I work for a company that has developed a Java version of one of their
products. Many of our customers use Tomcat as their application server
and it works wonderfully for that.

Recently, we've started looking hard at aspect oriented programming.
Looking at the "practitioner's list" of AOP frameworks, we took an
initial strong liking to JBoss AOP. JBoss AOP allows for use outside of
JBoss but requires that the framework have complete control of the
class loader to do its thing.

The simple solution, which JBoss recommends is this:

"JBoss AOP must have total control over the ClassLoader to work at all.
The reason for this is that there is no compilation step for using the
framework. JBoss AOP does bytecode manipulation on aspected classes as
they are loaded into the VM. So, when using JBoss AOP standalone, you
must override the default system classloader to use a JBoss AOP system
classloader. This is done as follows:

java
-Djava.system.class.loader=org.jboss.aop.standalone.SystemClassLoader
YourMainClass"

But this then requires that the JBoss classloader be used for all other
webapps in the container.

So here is my question - is there a clean way that I can replace just
the classloader for my application in Tomcat without impacting the
classloaders for other applications? A Tomcat developer might see this
answer more clearly than myself but I'm missing it if any such mechanic
exists.

And further, is there a portable way to replace the class loader for an
entire single webapp, regardless of container? I am doubting that this
is possible but I did want to ask.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Dave Ramsey