Posted to user@helix.apache.org by kishore g <g....@gmail.com> on 2014/07/11 19:45:55 UTC

Re-define: What is Helix

Hi,

This is something that has been bothering most of us. Should we call
Helix *"cluster
management framework"*? Its a framework alright, but is it cluster
manager?- I am not sure. Cluster management is a broad term and can mean
different things to different people. But the most common understanding of
cluster management term is managing a set of machines and starting/stopping
processes on those machines. In other words, it cluster management is
synonymous to a deployment solution.

Because of this terminology, Helix is often compared with Mesos/YARN/Ambari
and other frameworks that manage the start/stop of processes. I have
answered this at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16401412/apache-helix-vs-yarn but every
one i talk to ask the same question again and again. For e.g. some one
asked if they can put together a Hadoop Cluster using Helix. Here is the Hadoop
ecosystem table <http://hadoopecosystemtable.github.io/>where Helix is
labelled as system deployment.

I feel the best way to clear this confusion is re-brand Helix as something
else that  helps one understand what it is and when can some one use it.

What do others think. Any suggestions on what we should re-brand it as?

thanks,
Kishore G

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Zhen Zhang <zz...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
How about "Distributed state coordinator"?

From: kishore g <g....@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:07 PM
To: "user@helix.apache.org<ma...@helix.apache.org>" <us...@helix.apache.org>>
Cc: "dev@helix.apache.org<ma...@helix.apache.org>" <de...@helix.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Throwing in another option "Toolkit for building distributed systems".

SolrCloud's Helix clone throws around the word "orchestrate". I have found it to be a useful term when describing Helix to others as well.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Sandeep Nayak <os...@gmail.com>.
I was going to suggest 'An framework to manage/orchestrate distributed
systems'. I use manage or orchestrate as suggestion to pick one, I
lean towards orchestrate. I think Kanak was the first one to suggest
'orchestrate' and I thought it fit well.

I also agree with Bob's latter statement that by virtue of omitting
one or the other of the modifiers it could give the reader a wrong
impression. So I would lean towards not adding any and go with the
notion that users should expect these to be reliable and scalable.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Sandeep Nayak <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Bob Schulman <bo...@schulman.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Greg Brandt <br...@gmail.com>.
+1 for "Helix - A framework for distributed systems development"

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Greg Brandt <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Bob Schulman <bo...@schulman.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.
How about this

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.
How about this

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Greg Brandt <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Greg Brandt <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Zhen Zhang <zz...@linkedin.com>.
How about "Distributed state coordinator"?

From: kishore g <g....@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:07 PM
To: "user@helix.apache.org<ma...@helix.apache.org>" <us...@helix.apache.org>>
Cc: "dev@helix.apache.org<ma...@helix.apache.org>" <de...@helix.apache.org>>

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by kishore g <g....@gmail.com>.

RE: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.

RE: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Kanak Biscuitwala <ka...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Sandeep Nayak <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Sandeep Nayak <os...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Shirshanka Das <sh...@gmail.com>.
Think about analogies to netty for network programming in Java&nbsp;

Hi,This is something that has been bothering most of us. Should we callHelix *&quot;clustermanagement framework&quot;*? Its a framework alright, but is it clustermanager?- I am not sure. Cluster management is a broad term and can meandifferent things to different people. But the most common understanding ofcluster management term is managing a set of machines and starting/stoppingprocesses on those machines. In other words, it cluster management issynonymous to a deployment solution.Because of this terminology, Helix is often compared with Mesos/YARN/Ambariand other frameworks that manage the start/stop of processes. I haveanswered this athttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/16401412/apache-helix-vs-yarn but everyone i talk to ask the same question again and again. For e.g. some oneasked if they can put together a Hadoop Cluster using Helix. Here is the Hadoopecosystem table where Helix islabelled as system deployment.I feel the best way to clear this confusion is re-brand Helix as somethingelse that  helps one understand what it is and when can some one use it.What do others think. Any suggestions on what we should re-brand it as?thanks,Kishore G

Re: Re-define: What is Helix

Posted by Shirshanka Das <sh...@gmail.com>.