Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net> on 2006/06/03 00:07:31 UTC

Re: Subversion/Workflow

Johnathan Gifford wrote:
> For a non Open Source product, look at Polarion (http://www.polarion.com).
>
> Johnathan
>

> On 5/31/06 8:26 AM, "bruce" <be...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi...
>>
>> Does anyone have knowledge of a Workflow app (Open Source) built on top
>> of/using Subversion? I'm considering a situation where I have lots of files,
>> and developers. I need to be able to alert developers when a file moves from
>> one phase of the process to another, so the developer knows that the file is
>> ready for his attention.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -bruce

Sorry for the delayed response to this one - been away from my computer
for a couple of days...

Amongst the other replies to this thread, the only true workflow tool
mentioned was Polarion.  The others are issue tracking systems.  That
said, my development group uses Bugzilla (http://www.bugzilla.org) with
a link from Subversion.  The work is tracked primarily by the use of
flags that are managed by the owner of the bug/issue.  We can define as
many different flags as we want, and send emails to certain individuals
to act upon them.  Every code change requires an issue request (bug
loaded into Bugzilla).  We use TortoiseSVN and the Bugtraq:properties to
log the issue numbers and description of changes.  All files changed and
this description is then written into Bugzilla.  When the issue manager
feels that code is ready for the next step, they send up a flag to the
next person in line.  That person then gets to act upon the issue and
update it with the appropriate notes.

So - is this a true "Workflow" tool?  No.  But it is our way of managing
the flow.  And it works pretty well for us.

Regards,
Frank