Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org> on 2004/08/20 06:00:39 UTC

Debian build problem with 1.4.1

Hi all,

I am the Debian package maintainer for Lucene, and I'm having build
problems with 1.4.1. We are very close to a major Debian release (code
named 'sarge'), and the window for changes is very small. Can someone
please help me in the next day or two, otherwise Debian stable will ship
Lucene 1.4-final for the next couple of years. It looks to me like the
problem is in javacc generated code, and it's not obvious to me what
to do.

For debian sarge or sid users out there who want to reproduce the
build problem, download the lucene 1.4.1 source tarball, then:

  apt-get install devscripts
  apt-get source liblucene-java
  cd lucene-1.4
  uupdate -v 1.4.1 ../lucene-1.4.1-src.tar.gz
  cd ../lucene-1.4.1
  debuild -us -uc

Cheers,
Jeff

=================

compile-core:
    [mkdir] Created dir: /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/build/classes/java
    [javac] Compiling 160 source files to /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/build/classes/java
    [javac] /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis/standard/StandardTokenizer.java:15: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class Reader
    [javac] location: class org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardTokenizer
    [javac]   public StandardTokenizer(Reader reader) {
    [javac]                            ^
    [javac] /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis/standard/StandardTokenizer.java:24: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : class IOException
    [javac] location: class org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardTokenizer
    [javac]   final public org.apache.lucene.analysis.Token next() throws ParseException, IOException {
    [javac]                                                                               ^
    [javac] /tmp/lucene/lucene-1.4.1/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis/standard/StandardTokenizer.java:15: recursive constructor invocation
    [javac]   public StandardTokenizer(Reader reader) {
    [javac]          ^
    [javac] 3 errors

Re: Debian build problem with 1.4.1

Posted by Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org>.
>It's easy enough for folks to  compile Lucene this way

I'm having trouble, warnings and error messages appended. This is for
Lucene 1.4.1. One of the few Debian specific changes was to call the
jarball 1.4 instead of the default 1.5-rc1-dev designation in
build.xml.

rode:~> gcj --version
gcj (GCC) 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-9)

rode:~> gcj build/lucene-1.4.jar build/lucene-demos-1.4.jar -o indexer \
       --main=org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML >& /tmp/log.txt

> and applications built this way are pretty small.  The big thing to
> install is libgcj.

I'm potentially interested in C applications calling a Lucene gcj
compiled native library. But that would be in the distant future if at
all. Right now just compiling a working Lucene app with gcj would be
pretty cool.

Cheers,
Jeff

=================

org/apache/lucene/analysis/de/WordlistLoader.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.analysis.de.WordlistLoader':
org/apache/lucene/analysis/de/WordlistLoader.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.analysis.de.WordlistLoader.getWordSet(java.io.File)':
org/apache/lucene/analysis/de/WordlistLoader.java:47: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
CompoundFileReader.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSInputStream':
CompoundFileReader.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSInputStream.readInternal(byte[],int,int)':
CompoundFileReader.java:215: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileReader.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader':
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileReader.java: In constructor `(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileReader.java:51: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileWriter.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter':
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.close()':
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileWriter.java:127: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter.copyFile(org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileWriter$FileEntry,org.apache.lucene.store.OutputStream,byte[])':
org/apache/lucene/index/CompoundFileWriter.java:194: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentWriter':
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentWriter.addDocument(java.lang.String,org.apache.lucene.document.Document)':
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java:60: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentWriter.invertDocument(org.apache.lucene.document.Document)':
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java:117: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentWriter.writePostings(org.apache.lucene.index.Posting[],java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java:250: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentWriter.writeNorms(org.apache.lucene.document.Document,java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/index/DocumentWriter.java:320: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfos.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos':
org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfos.java: In constructor `(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfos.java:36: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfos.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfos.write(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfos.java:172: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,boolean)':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java:110: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.delete(org.apache.lucene.index.Term)':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java:449: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.commit()':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.java:480: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java: In constructor `(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,org.apache.lucene.analysis.Analyzer,boolean,boolean)':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java:108: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addDocument(org.apache.lucene.document.Document,org.apache.lucene.analysis.Analyzer)':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java:304: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addIndexes(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader[])':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java:399: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(int)':
org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.java:470: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/indIn method `org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.closeNorms()':
org/apache/lucene/index/SegmentReader.java:375: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/TermInfosReader.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader':
org/apache/lucene/index/TermInfosReader.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader.readIndex()':
org/apache/lucene/index/TermInfosReader.java:76: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/index/TermVectorsWriter.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.index.TermVectorsWriter':
org/apache/lucene/index/TermVectorsWriter.java: In methearch/FieldCacheImpl.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.FieldCacheImpl.getStringIndex(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader,java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldCacheImpl.java:238: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldCacheImpl.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.FieldCacheImpl.getAuto(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader,java.lang.String)':
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldCacheImpl.java:312: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/luccene.search.FieldCacheImpl.getCustom(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader,java.lang.String,org.apache.lucene.search.SortComparator)':
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldCacheImpl.java:363: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldSortedHitQueue.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.FieldSortedHitQueue':
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldSortedHitQueue.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.FieldSortedHitQueue.lookup(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader,java.lang.String,int,java.lang.Object)':
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldSortedHitQueue.java:134: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldSortedHitQueue.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.FieldSortedHitQueue.store(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader,java.lang.String,int,java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object)':
org/apache/lucene/search/FieldSortedHitQueue.java:146: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/Hits.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.Hits':
org/apache/lucene/search/Hits.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(int)':
org/apache/lucene/search/Hits.java:64: error: class 'org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher' has no method named 'search' matching signature '(Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Query;Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Filter;I)Lorg/apache/lucene/search/TopDocs;'
org/apache/lucene/search/Hits.java:64: error: class 'org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher' has no method named 'search' matching signature '(Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Query;Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Filter;ILorg/apache/lucene/search/Sort;)Lorg/apache/lucene/search/TopFieldDocs;'
org/apache/lucene/search/Hits.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.doc(int)':
org/apache/lucene/search/Hits.java:101: error: class 'org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher' has no method named 'doc' matching signature '(I)Lorg/apache/lucene/document/Document;'
ParallelMultiSearcher.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.MultiSearcherThread':
ParallelMultiSearcher.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.MultiSearcherThread.run()':
ParallelMultiSearcher.java:251: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/MultiTermQuery.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.MultiTermQuery':
org/apache/lucene/search/MultiTermQuery.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.MultiTermQuery.rewrite(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader)':
org/apache/lucene/search/MultiTermQuery.java:53: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
PhraseQuery.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseQuery$PhraseWeight':
PhraseQuery.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseQuery$PhraseWeight.explain(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader,int)':
PhraseQuery.java:140: error: class 'org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher' has no method named 'docFreq' matching signature '(Lorg/apache/lucene/index/Term;)I'
org/apache/lucene/search/PrefixQuery.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.PrefixQuery':
org/apache/lucene/search/PrefixQuery.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.PrefixQuery.rewrite(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader)':
org/apache/lucene/search/PrefixQuery.java:38: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/Query.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.Query':
org/apache/lucene/search/Query.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.Query.weight(org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher)':
org/apache/lucene/search/Query.java:84: error: class 'org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher' has no method named 'rewrite' matching signature '(Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Query;)Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Query;'
org/apache/lucene/search/QueryFilter.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.QueryFilter':
org/apache/lucene/search/QueryFilter.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.QueryFilter.bits(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader)':
org/apache/lucene/search/QueryFilter.java:49: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/QueryFilter.java:49: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/RangeQuery.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.RangeQuery':
org/apache/lucene/search/RangeQuery.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.RangeQuery.rewrite(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader)':
org/apache/lucene/search/RangeQuery.java:74: warning: exception handler inside code that is being protected
org/apache/lucene/search/Searcher.java: In class `org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher':
org/apache/lucene/search/Searcher.java: In method `org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(org.apache.lucene.search.Query,org.apache.lucene.search.HitCollector)':
org/apache/lucene/search/Searcher.java:67: error: class 'org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher' has no method named 'search' matching signature '(Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Query;Lorg/apache/lucene/search/Filter;Lorg/apache/lucene/search/HitCollector;)V'
org/apache/lucene/search/Searcher.java:78: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

Re: Debian build problem with 1.4.1

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
I can successfully use gcc 3.4.0 with Lucene as follows:

ant jar jar-demo

gcj -O3 build/lucene-1.5-rc1-dev.jar build/lucene-demos-1.5-rc1-dev.jar
-o indexer --main=org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML

./indexer -create docs

It runs pretty snappy too!  However I don't know if there's much milage
in packaging Lucene as a native library.  It's easy enough for folks to
compile Lucene this way, and applications built this way are pretty
small.  The big thing to install is libgcj.

Doug

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Aug 20, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

>> I don't understand this.  StandardTokenizer.java hasn't changed since
>> last year.
>
> I have packaged Lucene such that 'ant javacc' is called at package
> build time. I now see the problem - 'import java.io.*;' has been
> removed from StandardTokenizer.jj in Lucene 1.4.1.  When I put that
> line back in, things build fine.
>
> Now that I know what the problem is, I'll go ahead and patch the Debian
> package. Please make sure the Lucene codebase gets fixed as well.

The codebase has been fixed, as of a couple of weeks ago :)

	Erik

Re: Debian build problem with 1.4.1

Posted by Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Aug 20, 2004, at 11:12 AM, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> Hi Otis,
>
>> I'm asking, because it looks like your compiler is not finding Reader
>> and IOException classes, both of which are in java.io.* package, which
>> I see imported in StandardTokenizer.java as 'import java.io.*;'.
>

> In my copy of StandardTokenizer.java, there is no 'import java.io.*;'
> (and in fact this is a change from lucene-1.4-final).

I don't understand this.  StandardTokenizer.java hasn't changed since
last year.

% cvs log StandardTokenizer.java
----------------------------
revision 1.3
date: 2003/12/22 22:12:24;  author: cutting;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -6
Fix StandardTokenizer's handling of CJK characters.
----------------------------
revision 1.2
date: 2003/10/01 16:39:26;  author: ehatcher;  state: Exp;  lines: +7 -4
oops, forgot to check in JavaCC generated files
----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 2003/09/11 01:51:33;  author: ehatcher;  state: Exp;
PR 19468, but not exactly as it was done in the provided patches.
JavaCC is no longer required to build Lucene, but can be run optionally
=====

And I have import java.io.* at the top.

>  Since this file
> is apparently generated from JavaCC, I'm not sure what to do.

You can regenerate StandardTokenizer by running:

	ant javacc

(you'll need JavaCC installed, of course, and this is the reason we
check in the generated files in order to save the hassle for others)

It seems something is fishy with the copy of the code you have.

	Erik

Re: Debian build problem with 1.4.1

Posted by Jeff Breidenbach <je...@jab.org>.

Hi Otis,

>I'm asking, because it looks like your compiler is not finding Reader
>and IOException classes, both of which are in java.io.* package, which
>I see imported in StandardTokenizer.java as 'import java.io.*;'.

In my copy of StandardTokenizer.java, there is no 'import java.io.*;'
(and in fact this is a change from lucene-1.4-final). Since this file
is apparently generated from JavaCC, I'm not sure what to do.  I'm
happy to supply a login to a Debian computer if someone is interested
in helping debug.

>Are any of those commands actually using Lucene's build.xml?

Yes, they are just a wrapper around calling ant. The build.xml
file has very minimal debian specific modifications.

Cheers,
Jeff

Re: Debian build problem with 1.4.1

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Jeff,

I don't have Debian to try this out, and this is going to be a stupid
question and suggestion, but where/how is the CLASSPATH set?  Are any
of those commands actually using Lucene's build.xml?

I'm asking, because it looks like your compiler is not finding Reader
and IOException classes, both of which are in java.io.* package, which
I see imported in StandardTokenizer.java as 'import java.io.*;'.

Otis