Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net> on 2004/07/29 21:15:02 UTC

[users@httpd] different configure options under the same source tree.

Hi all,

I don't know if this is an apache or autoconf/automake question, but since my goal is to compile apache, here is goes...

I want to build many different apache binaries (with different configure options), under the same source tree... is it possible?

What I am doing now is to download the source, unpack the source in different directories, and for each directory I compile apache with different configure options. But I think this is a waste of space.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] different configure options under the same source tree.

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately this wont work for me as I can't do a "make clean"... Once the source is compiled, I can't delete it, because I might need to run "make install" in different server. Before you ask why:
We have many different sets of servers. Each set needs different configure options, as they do different things. We may add a new server to the set at anytime (or maybe rebuild an existing server if the HD fails), so, I don't want to compile everything again and waste time and CPU on my build server if that was already done. I just want to nsf mount the source tree directory and do a "make install" or a "make install SET1" where SET1 is the binary compiled with the configure options for the set 1.

I know I could create packages after I compile the source for each set, but it is veeeeery time consuming, and I found that "make install" serves me much better.

Thanks Brian ;)

Posted by Brian Quinn <br...@az511.com>.