Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Simon Zhou <si...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/16 08:05:16 UTC

[drlvm][jitrino] write barrier was broken

Hi All,

  I am doing my GSoC2009 project of implementing weak reference in
Concurrent GC. I found that as long as the gc.generate_barrier=true is set,
VM will crash when it startups (int vm_init2() method). I was following this
issue these days but did not work out.
  This issue seem to come out after milestone8, so  I guess it could be
caused by some patches on Jitrino after M8.
   Is there anyone else being aware of that? Or could you please provide
some information about which patch could cause it?
   Thank you very much!

Thanks
Simon

Re: [drlvm][jitrino] write barrier was broken

Posted by xiaoming gu <xi...@gmail.com>.
Simon, a patch is here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6211.
-Xiaoming

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM, xiaoming gu <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Simon. The debug is about an peephole optimization. I assumed no
> control flow branch in the middle of a basic block. But I find some CALL
> insts break the assumption sometimes like following:
>
> I4: t5:ref:cls:java/lang/ref/ReferenceQueue =ADD
> t0:cls:java/lang/ref/Reference, t4(0):intptr
> I5: CALL t7(0):I_32 (AU:t0:cls:java/lang/ref/Reference,
> t5:ref:cls:java/lang/ref/ReferenceQueue,
> t2:cls:java/lang/ref/ReferenceQueue) [bcmap:6]
> I6: t9:ref:cls:java/lang/Object =ADD
> t0:cls:java/lang/ref/Reference,t8(0):intptr
> I7: CALL t10(0):I_32
> (AU:t0:cls:java/lang/ref/Reference,t9:ref:cls:java/lang/Object,t1:cls:java/lang/Object)
> [bcmap:11]
> I8: RET t11(0):int16!
>
> So far I don't know why CALL can sit there. Whatever, I'll file a bug on
> JIRA and put a preliminary patch. Thanks.
>
> Xiaoming
>

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:25 PM, xiaoming gu <xi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the helpful info, Simon. I'll look into it. -Xiaoming
>>

>> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Simon Zhou <si...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Xiaoming,
>>>
>>> I am sorry that maybe my previous guesswork is wrong.
>>> it is not caused by global_prop, because the issue still exists after I
>>> remove the global_prop in config file.
>>> but after I revert all the modification of this patch, VM runs pretty
>>> well,
>>> so it maybe caused by other modification in this patch but global_prop,
>>> or
>>> not just global_prop. I am not sure...
>>> Thanks for your help!
>>> Thanks