Posted to user@chukwa.apache.org by Shreya Chakravarty <sh...@persistent.co.in> on 2010/05/21 06:03:09 UTC

working of HICC

Hi eric,

I am interested in finding out how HICC extracts data from the MySQL database and does analysis on that (Which part of the code does that).

Theoretically I have read the concept of SALSA and JCDF and what are swimlanes and heatmaps used for.

Please let me know what part of code should I look at to get an idea about the analysis stuff done by HICC.

Regards,

Shreya

Below is our mail conversation:

Hi Shreya,

I think you are on the right track.  The HICC war file contains a script

called single-series-chart-javascript.jsp.  This jsp script handles all

mechanism of database to JSON graphing string.  However, the database part

is slowly phasing out, and will be replaced with chukwaRecord to JSON

graphing string.

=20

Regards,

Eric

Hi Guys,

I am new to chukwa and I am trying to understand how the analytics part work=
s in chukwa.

My understanding is:

*         DB tables are created using database_cretae_tables.sql script

*         MetricDataLoader class is invoked either from dbLoader.sh or mdl.s=
h script which in turns loads data to MySql.

*         HICC pulls data from MySql and does the analysis part

I have gone through the MetricDataLoader class and understood the code flow=
 but I am not able to find out how HICC draws data from the database for ana=
lysis.
Please let me know if my understanding is correct, some pointers in this reg=
ard would be very helpful.
Could not find much documentation regarding working of HICC.

Regards,
Shreya

Shreya Chakravarty | Module Lead - IBM BU | Persistent Systems Limited
shreya_chakravarty@persistent.co.in<ma...@persistent.co.in> | Cell: +91 97663 - 10680 | Tel: +91 (20) 391 77809
Persistent Systems - Innovation in software product design, development and delivery -  www.persistentsys.com<http://www.persistentsys.com/>

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: working of HICC

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Shreya,

Hicc is a viewer of the analyzed data for data visualization only.  It does
not do data analysis.  The part that does data analysis is in
src/java/org/apache/hadoop/chukwa/analysis/salsa/fsm.  This part of the code
is triggered by ³chukwa.post.demux.data.loader² in chukwa-demux-conf.xml.
Data in the database are already analyzed prior to loading to the database.
There was a hack to aggregate data in the database, it¹s called
src/java/org/apache/hadoop/chukwa/database/Aggregator.java, and the SQL
driven by this program is feed through conf/aggregator.sql.  This was built
for prototyping purpose to show the final product of Chukwa is going to be
like.  It is not intended to run the database part in a large production
environment.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eric