Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/20 16:45:43 UTC

[vmi] passing -X options to VM

 On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
<snip>
>>> I'm going to modify the launcher to pass "-help" into the VM when it's
>>> been named "java*" so that it behaves like the tools that come with the
>>> Sun's, BEA's and IBM's impelmentation.

All,
What is the default behaviour of the launcher for "-X" options? I have found
that -Xem option is not passed to VM anymore.
I propose to pass all of -X options from the launcher to VM.
Are there any potential problems in this solution?

--
Mikhail Fursov

Re: [vmi] passing -X options to VM

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1EB day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Egor Pasko wrote:

> >> <snip>
> >>

> >> All,
> >> What is the default behaviour of the launcher for "-X" options? I
> >> have found
> >> that -Xem option is not passed to VM anymore.
> >> I propose to pass all of -X options from the launcher to VM.
> >> Are there any potential problems in this solution?
> >
> > makes sense!
> >
> > Today we have our workaround like this:
> > -Dem.properties=server_static
>
> That's weird.  The launcher doesn't care.
>
> I thought I've used -Xem as in
>
>    -Xem:something

works too :)
"we need to document this"

Re: [vmi] passing -X options to VM

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:02 AM, Pavel Ozhdikhin wrote:

> Geir,
>
> I don't think we should make such changes in a quick patch. We have VM
> and JIT documentation and various scripts that use "-Xem opt" format
> and changing it to "-Xem:opt" is not only about adding extra colon. I
> think we need to fix this or at least to support both formats for some
> transition period.

The VM already works this way.  I didn't change that.  All I changed
is what gets printed out by the VM when you type  "-X".  I'm all for
changing everything else too, but given the VM already had that
behavior, I don't see what the harm was in fixing one set of docs
(and the most obvious one...)

geir

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.
Geir,