Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2005/05/09 09:53:32 UTC

Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Hi folks,

a few months ago, I tentatively reserved "The Pand" in Ghent again for
our annual gathering - now scheduled for 10-11 october 2005. Only a
while after that, I learned about O'Reilly EuroOSCON, to be held
October 17-20 in Amsterdam. There's obviously a bit of a scheduling
conflict here - OTOH, Amsterdam and Ghent are only a 2 1/2 hour drive
from each other, and October is always a busy conference month.

We're May now, and we need to decide how to move forward for the
GetTogether. After last year's GetTogether, we decided to untie the GT
from any commercial involvement (however small there ever was any),
making sure the GT is an event organized by and for the Cocoon
community. That means we need to form some sort of GT organisation
committee, for which we need a couple of volunteers.

As for now, we need the following answers to be answered:

* are we on for 10-11 October?
* Ghent again?
* are you up for volunteering?

Things we need to tackle soon now:

* website design & development (the cocoongt.org domain has been
registered for this purpose)
* call for proposals and ideas

We might seek some affiliation with the Apache Conference team as well.

Please direct your replies to dev@cocoon.apache.org.

Regards,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Last year's application was hacked together - nothing to be proud of,
> and for this year we really should make online payment less painful
> (Paypal is expensive, and quite a few people want real invoices).

we use acteva at OSCOM and made good experiences. not sure offhand if
they do invoices too. http://acteva.com

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 09 May 2005, at 14:08, Steven Noels wrote:

> In the end, things could be as simple as: coming up with a layout

For people who want something really useful to chew on: this would be a
very nice start.

Efficiency-wise, a Daisy skin might be the ideal artefact.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 09 May 2005, at 11:59, Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> After last year's GetTogether, we decided to untie the GT
>>> from any commercial involvement (however small there ever was any),
>>> making sure the GT is an event organized by and for the Cocoon
>>> community.
>
> Do you mean: No sponsoring?

Basically yes, though it's safe to say that this won't exactly make
much difference. All "profit" made during last year's GTs has been put
safely aside for a new edition, so there's _some_ budget to start from.
The idea has always been that the event should be self-supporting -
even with its modest admission fees - because it's all volunteer work
and we try to outsource as few stuff as possible. The biggest costs are
handouts, facilities and A/V. Catering cost should be paying itself
with admission fees - but that only works if you can gather as much
registrations upfront, so that the number of ordered meals is correct.

> Alternatives? The question is if you want to make this a Ghent thing in
> the long run or if you want to move it around in Europe. I am not sure
> if
> moving it around might attract new / more people or not.

I don't know. About Ghent: I'm willing to volunteer the same amount of
time as every year, running errands and the like, if the event is run
in Ghent. If not, someone close to the venue should be willing to
volunteer that same amount of time.

I'm not a very efficient time manager, but I guess I've been spending
about two to three weeks every year so far - of course some things are
becoming routine stuff now. Marc has been spending about a week or so
as well on invoicing and billing.

>>> * are you up for volunteering?
>
> Yes!

Great!

> Can't last year's infrastructure be re-used?

Last year's application was hacked together - nothing to be proud of,
and for this year we really should make online payment less painful
(Paypal is expensive, and quite a few people want real invoices).
Besides, last year's edition was still co-hosted on the Orixo website,
which needs to change as well.

In the end, things could be as simple as: coming up with a layout, copy
lots of stuff from last years, book a deal with an online billing
service, leach as much from last year's "registration application" as
possible.

Content-management wise, running the website alongside the
cocoondev.org (Daisy) machinerie would definitely help compared to last
year.

>>> * call for proposals and ideas
>
> What do you mean? Setting specific topics or an overall theme in the
> CFP?

"Everything". ;)

A theme would be nice but might be spreading the icing too thin on the
cake. We need to send out a CFP, select speeches, come up with an
agenda + time schedule, etc.

I booked the large room of last year for two consecutive days, so we
also need to discuss what we want to do with it (Hackathon-wise I
mean).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>> After last year's GetTogether, we decided to untie the GT
>> from any commercial involvement (however small there ever was any),
>> making sure the GT is an event organized by and for the Cocoon
>> community.

Do you mean: No sponsoring?

>> * are we on for 10-11 October?

Why not. You will always find another conference in the same timeframe.

>> * Ghent again?

Alternatives? The question is if you want to make this a Ghent thing in
the long run or if you want to move it around in Europe. I am not sure if
moving it around might attract new / more people or not.

>> * are you up for volunteering?

Yes!

>> * website design & development (the cocoongt.org domain has been
>> registered for this purpose)

Can't last year's infrastructure be re-used?

>> * call for proposals and ideas

What do you mean? Setting specific topics or an overall theme in the CFP?

Regards,
Torsten

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>> After last year's GetTogether, we decided to untie the GT
>> from any commercial involvement (however small there ever was any),
>> making sure the GT is an event organized by and for the Cocoon
>> community.

Do you mean: No sponsoring?

>> * are we on for 10-11 October?

Why not. You will always find another conference in the same timeframe.

>> * Ghent again?

Alternatives? The question is if you want to make this a Ghent thing in
the long run or if you want to move it around in Europe. I am not sure if
moving it around might attract new / more people or not.

>> * are you up for volunteering?

Yes!

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>> After last year's GetTogether, we decided to untie the GT
>> from any commercial involvement (however small there ever was any),
>> making sure the GT is an event organized by and for the Cocoon
>> community.

Do you mean: No sponsoring?

>> * are we on for 10-11 October?

Why not. You will always find another conference in the same timeframe.

>> * Ghent again?

Alternatives? The question is if you want to make this a Ghent thing in
the long run or if you want to move it around in Europe. I am not sure if
moving it around might attract new / more people or not.

>> * are you up for volunteering?

Yes!

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>> After last year's GetTogether, we decided to untie the GT
>> from any commercial involvement (however small there ever was any),
>> making sure the GT is an event organized by and for the Cocoon
>> community.

Do you mean: No sponsoring?

>> * are we on for 10-11 October?

Why not. You will always find another conference in the same timeframe.

>> * Ghent again?

Alternatives? The question is if you want to make this a Ghent thing in
the long run or if you want to move it around in Europe. I am not sure if
moving it around might attract new / more people or not.

>> * are you up for volunteering?

Yes!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> the hackaton however is a great opportunity for informal chats - so
>> everybody is welcome on both days
>

> Any chance of 2 day hackathon? :-)

yes please!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 13 mai 05, à 16:17, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit :
> ..Any chance of 2 day hackathon? :-)

+1 for +1 day

-Bertrand

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 13 May 2005, at 16:17, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>> the hackaton however is a great opportunity for informal chats - so
>> everybody is welcome on both days
>
> Any chance of 2 day hackathon? :-)

At the current location, that's highly unlikely since they appear to be
booked throughout the week.

But maybe, hopefully, there's something we can change about this.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> the hackaton however is a great opportunity for informal chats - so
> everybody is welcome on both days

Any chance of 2 day hackathon? :-)

Vadim

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 13 May 2005, at 12:31, Gunter D'Hondt wrote:

> Steven,
>
> so the GT for "users" will be on the 11th Oct while the 10th is for the
> community members?

well, don't want to create polarization but yes, that's basically the
concept

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

Posted by Gunter D'Hondt <gu...@sofico.be>.
Steven,

so the GT for "users" will be on the 11th Oct while the 10th is for the
community members?
Just to be sure which date I should preserve in my calendar as "user"

Regards,
Gunter D'Hondt

Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>
09/05/2005 09:53
Please respond to
users@cocoon.apache.org

dev@cocoon.apache.org, users@cocoon.apache.org
cc
Lenya Developers List <de...@lenya.apache.org>, users@lenya.apache.org,
dev@forrest.apache.org
Subject

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon GetTogether 2005: call for assistance

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org