Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> on 2017/02/13 17:17:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Maturity Model Assessment

Hello,

Following up on this thread - completing the Apache Maturity Model Assessment and proposing graduation.

Thank you Suneel for contributing to the AMMA in December and January.

Everyone else - please take a look and contribute comments or changes in the document, on this thread, and/or add tickets in JIRA.

This is the time to call out any areas where you think we should make adjustments prior to a graduation vote.

The plan is to perform 0.5-incubating release by the end of February, so now is a great time to fit in improvement to POMs and documentation.

Thanks,
Steve
On January 26, 2017 at 12:06:05 PM, sblackmon (sblackmon@apache.org) wrote:

Happy 2017 Streams committers and well-wishers.

For those unfamiliar, the Apache Maturity Model Assessment is a essentially a checklist assessment of project health based on many of the principles of the Apache Software Foundation.
http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

I’ve started an AMMA for Streams here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+Streams

All in all, Streams already stacks up pretty well against the ~35 items on the AMMA. There are some gaps - and opportunities to improve of course.

I think we have reached the point where the project can make a strong case to graduate to TLP, following a concerted effort to address the gaps that remain.

So my ask to everyone is:
 - review and bookmark the Streams AMMA doc in confluence.
 - confirm that you have edit or at least comment privileges.  let me know if you don’t.
 - prepare and share notes on any areas of concern to you personally
 - identify and share specific ideas that we could act on to improve our score on any items, especially those where we are falling short of a definitive YES.

Personally I want to see the project achieve TLP status prior to ApacheCon NA 2017, after one more major release.

I will respond personally to any feedback on this and future related threads, and reach out to the list regarding our progress about once a week from here on out to push us forward.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Steve

On November 25, 2016 at 12:21:50 PM, Steve Blackmon (steve@blackmon.org) wrote:
On Nov 25, 2016 11:58 AM, "Suneel Marthi" <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for starting this @sblackmon.
>
> Could we make 2 releases (both releases managed by folks != "sblackmon").
>
> Since the recent 0.4 release, there have been minor bug fixes and
> performance improvements, we could cut a release in the next one week -
> call it 0.4.1.

I think all of the changes that have merged are suitable for a minor release. There were changes made to the facebook module translations, but those had fallen out of sync with the provider to the point that documents coming out of the 0.4 release providers were missing a ton of useful informaton.  So i think we can make an exception to the a general preference to not change data schemas in a non-backwards compatible way in a minor release.
+1

> We do have a planned major release 0.5 for end of December.
>
> The idea is to have more frequent releases to demonstrate maturity in the
> release process and each release managed by a different Release Meister.

+1

Posted by Steve Blackmon <st...@blackmon.org>.
Ate,

Follow-up comments to your feedback in-line.  All suggestions are
being tracked and I agree most should not take a lot of time to push
forward.

All,

Please review the AMMA once more and note opportunities to improve,
however small or grandiose.

Also, I’ve created a page with a checklist of small(ish) improvements
and cleanup to the project website:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

Feel free to add items there, and/or PR some web content (now mostly
in streams-project/src/site/markdown) and check items off!

Steve

On April 10, 2017 at 3:09:26 PM, sblackmon
(sblackmon@apache.org(mailto:sblackmon@apache.org)) wrote:
> Thanks Ate!
>
> On April 10, 2017 at 2:35:39 PM, Ate Douma (ate@douma.nu(mailto:ate@douma.nu)) wrote:
> > On 2017-04-10 04:09, sblackmon wrote:
> > > This thread went quiet during and following the 0.5 release, so I’ll try to wrap it up now.
> > >
> > > If anyone has any last changes they want to make to the AMMA, or want to suggest others make, prior to initiating a graduation vote, please do so in the next 48 hours.
> >
> > What happens in 48 hours?
> >

> (Hopefully) We’ll have the full list of all the immediate tasks we want to perform before we share the AMMA with the incubator, sooner or later.
> > Concerning the AMMA, I read through it again and have several remarks:
>
> I will either knock these out directly, incorporate them as notes in the document, or open up tickets under the 0.5.1 sprint. I’ll send a follow-up on this thread once that process is complete.
>

> > > - CD20: Link to website is broken (referring to /site/latest/)
> > > Same goes for a few other website links (RE10, CS10)

Resolved

> > > - CD30: Somehow it looks to me that a 'howto' build (with) Streams is now more
> > > fragments/unclear than before. The only practical instructions (for
> > > users) is now (only?) on the Examples page.
> > > IMO the "For Users" and "For Developers" menu's really lack an intro
> > > page *explaining* what to install, and why.

I agree. I’m preparing an “Introduction” page for each menu with use
cases, basics, and ‘getting started' links.
  added to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > - LC20: It might be useful to list or reference the actual required 3rd party
> > > dependencies, based upon the latest 0.5 (or 0.5.1) release.

Noted that per-module dependency docs are published to the website,
and opened STREAMS-501 to produce a full-project dependency license
report

> > > - RE50: points to a release-guide from Apache Beam, not the one from Streams

Resolved

> > > - QU10: while maybe not the right item to link this to, but as it mentions
> > > JIRA usage, I'd like to remark the following:
> > >
> > > IMO many/most of the current JIRA tickets are lacking a proper
> > > description *why* certain tasks/changes should be done.
> > > While for some this is discussed on the dev list, others are not or
> > > only minimally so. This makes it really difficult to understand
> > > what's going on, how 'good' or 'bad' these changes might be (from
> > > a quality POV for example), and likewise difficult to join/connect
> > > to the project from community perspective.
> > > It would be good to improve in this area, and more concretely, maybe
> > > put this in a documented Coding/Contribution Policy?

STREAMS-420 is still open, and I agree and have noted there (and will
crystalize within the new contribution docs):
  Each open ticket should an explanatory description
  If there's not a clear enough purpose for either the creator or
assigner to do this, the issue should be closed won't fix.

> > > - QU20: How / where is this documented/explained? AFAIK it is not, yet.
> > > QU30 Many projects do have a dedicated page or section explaining how
> > > security issues are handled.

Noted in the AMMA, added to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > - QU40: . Can we say anything about this, for example referring to
> > > semantic versioning with regards to backwards compatibility handling?

I agree, I think we should add a compatibility page which documents
how breaking changes in various modules should be handled from a
release perspective.
Noted in the AMMA, added to

Noted on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > - CO20: Contribution guide indeed would be good, IMO needed, to be added.
> > > CO30 A simple/effective example, or starting point:
> > > CO50 http://airavata.apache.org/get-involved.html
> > > CS30

Noted these in the AMMA, and added to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > The above remarks are mostly strong suggestions for improvements/fixes, and not
> > > all need to be resolved before graduation. But neither should it take a lot of
> > > time to address most of them.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ate!

On 2017-04-10 04:09, sblackmon wrote:
> This thread went quiet during and following the 0.5 release, so I’ll try to wrap it up now.
>
> If anyone has any last changes they want to make to the AMMA, or want to suggest others make, prior to initiating a graduation vote, please do so in the next 48 hours.

What happens in 48 hours?

(Hopefully) We’ll have the full list of all the immediate tasks we want to perform before we share the AMMA with the incubator, sooner or later.

Concerning the AMMA, I read through it again and have several remarks:
I will either knock these out directly, incorporate them as notes in the document, or open up tickets under the 0.5.1 sprint.  I’ll send a follow-up on this thread once that process is complete.

- CD20: Link to website is broken (referring to /site/latest/)
Same goes for a few other website links (RE10, CS10)

- CD30: Somehow it looks to me that a 'howto' build (with) Streams is now more
fragments/unclear than before. The only practical instructions (for
users) is now (only?) on the Examples page.
IMO the "For Users" and "For Developers" menu's really lack an intro
page *explaining* what to install, and why.

- LC20: It might be useful to list or reference the actual required 3rd party
dependencies, based upon the latest 0.5 (or 0.5.1) release.

- RE50: points to a release-guide from Apache Beam, not the one from Streams

- QU10: while maybe not the right item to link this to, but as it mentions
JIRA usage, I'd like to remark the following:

IMO many/most of the current JIRA tickets are lacking a proper
description *why* certain tasks/changes should be done.
While for some this is discussed on the dev list, others are not or
only minimally so. This makes it really difficult to understand
what's going on, how 'good' or 'bad' these changes might be (from
a quality POV for example), and likewise difficult to join/connect
to the project from community perspective.
It would be good to improve in this area, and more concretely, maybe
put this in a documented Coding/Contribution Policy?

- QU20: How / where is this documented/explained? AFAIK it is not, yet.
QU30 Many projects do have a dedicated page or section explaining how
security issues are handled.

- QU40: <empty>. Can we say anything about this, for example referring to

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joey Frazee <jo...@icloud.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.