Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by List <li...@nchost.net> on 2004/07/06 20:49:34 UTC

[users@httpd] restarting apache

Hi,

Whenever i restart apache, it will take 10mins to restart, and another
10mins after restart to be able to connect to the url to browse.. This is
normal? I am using Redhat 9 and apache 2.0.40. The machine is a P4 2.8GB
with 1GB of ram.

regards

Re: [users@httpd] restarting apache

Posted by List <li...@nchost.net>.
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 02:49:34 +0800, List <li...@nchost.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Whenever i restart apache, it will take 10mins to restart, and another
> > 10mins after restart to be able to connect to the url to browse.. This
is
> > normal? I am using Redhat 9 and apache 2.0.40. The machine is a P4 2.8GB
> > with 1GB of ram.
>
> First, that's quite an old version of apache.  You should consider
upgrading.

> Some other things to look at:
>
> 1. Are you sure you aren't depending on some slow DNS lookups.  See:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dns-caveats.html
>
> 2. Are you running SSL?  Is apache freezing waiting for enough entropy?
>
> 3. Is there anything interesting in the apache error_log?
>
> 4. Have you tried a graceful restart?

Thanks for all your emails. I edit the httpf.conf, changed  from
<VirtualHost domain.com:80> to <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:80> and it working
like a charm.

best regards

Re: [users@httpd] restarting apache

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

(re ridiculously slow startup)

> Some other things to look at:

> [chop]

5. Are you loading mod_auth_digest?  It needs entropy too.  When gentoo
was shipping with a bug that meant lots of people got long hangups on
startup, the usual easy-fix was just not to load the module.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] restarting apache

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 02:49:34 +0800, List <li...@nchost.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever i restart apache, it will take 10mins to restart, and another
> 10mins after restart to be able to connect to the url to browse.. This is
> normal? I am using Redhat 9 and apache 2.0.40. The machine is a P4 2.8GB
> with 1GB of ram.

First, that's quite an old version of apache.  You should consider upgrading.

Some other things to look at:

1. Are you sure you aren't depending on some slow DNS lookups.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dns-caveats.html

2. Are you running SSL?  Is apache freezing waiting for enough entropy?

3. Is there anything interesting in the apache error_log?

4. Have you tried a graceful restart?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] restarting apache

Posted by aman <ar...@techquotes.com>.
If you literally mean 10 mins, this is extra-ordinarily abnormal
behavior.
I use same OS and apache on a 2.6 GHz P4 and restart takes split of a
second, though I have bout 30 websites (virtualhosts) and many SSL sites
configured.
Check what else on your system is taking up resources, use top.
Regards

Aman Raheja
http://www.tecquotes.com