Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2010/11/22 16:20:21 UTC

Upgrade procedure

(changing topic to keep it separate from the vote)

On Nov 22, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
> The one big issue I had was after I downloaded the DMG, the first
> thing I did was run the new CayenneModeler and pointed it at my
> current project file.  This, of course, does an in-place upgrade.  I
> had to go to my backups to restore the old project file since it was
> pretty different.  It isn't very clear that your cayenne.xml file goes
> away or that it upgrades and saves immediately.  Even the UPGRADE.txt
> doesn't quite make it clear (but no one is going to read that
> immediately would be my guess).  I'm mainly mentioning this because
> this is a milestone release and most people might be willing to try it
> on an existing project for a test, but not realize it could be a tad
> destructive when they go back to 3.0.

Yeah, I think we need a Jira to improve CM project upgrade to not save a project on upgrade until a user clicks save explicitly. The way it works right now is the way we always did upgrades (which is not to say it is right). I guess I never cared myself that much, as all my projects are under version control, even if it is a local git checkin.

> Also, the UPGRADE.txt specifies:
>
>  ServerRuntime runtime = new ServerRuntime("cayenne-UntitledDomain.xml");
>
>  To obtain a new ObjectContext, the following API is used:
>
>  ObjectContext context = cayenneRuntime.getContext();
>

> The variables "runtime" and "cayenneRuntime" should be changed to be
> consistent, I think.

Good catch thanks.

Andrus