Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Simon Taddiken <si...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/14 19:40:28 UTC

Maven adjusts transitive compile-scope dependency to test-scope

Hi everyone,

I've encountered the following behavior and I'm not quite sure whether it
is desirable.
In my project, I have declared a dependency *X* with scope *test*. I then
updated the version of a 3rd party dependency *Y*. In its new version, *Y*
suddenly requires the aforementioned dependency *X* as a *compile *scoped
dependency.

In this scenario, maven resolves the scope of *X* to be *test, *although it
is now required by *Y* during runtime, causing ClassNotFoundExceptions. By
the very nature of this behavior those mistakes can't even be detected in
unit tests because *X* is available on test classpath.

I have just found out that this behavior seems to be intended (
https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Dependency_Scope)
but I can't really come up with a rationale for this design. Managing any
transitive compile scoped dependency down to test scope will almost
certainly cause ClassNotFoundExceptions during runtime.

Thoughts?

Re: Maven adjusts transitive compile-scope dependency to test-scope

Posted by Jason Young <ja...@procentive.com>.
I think I understand now. You're saying MyProject requires X for testing
and Y for compiling, but Y also requires X for compiling, thus X is a
transitive compile-time (or at least runtime) dependency of MyProject,
incidentally (not directly). Maven is not interpreting your input that way.

You mean to tell Maven that MyProject requires X _in addition to_ other
dependencies specified, but Maven interprets that as _overriding_ or
_replacing_ the transitive dependency. If I understand correctly, your
original post was saying that seems worng or at least needlessly opens the
door to mistakes which a different design could prevent. E.g. if Maven
required you to use an exclusion to remove a dependency instead of allowing
you to quietly override a dependency with a weaker scope, then you could
_just_ specify what a project needs directly, and Maven would figure out
the details or fail the build if what you ask for has an ambiguity with no
safe, meaningful default resolution. Hope that makes sense.

Posted by Andy Feldman <an...@wealthfront.com>.
I agree that this behavior seems risky. It's especially bad that the issue
cannot be caught in unit tests, even those which cover the code paths in Y
that call X.

I don't think the idea of manually checking the dependency tree is
realistic for larger projects, but the enforcer plugin seems perfect. I
don't see a built-in rule that could catch this. The documentation claims
it would be easy to write:
https://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-api/writing-a-custom-rule.html.
It would be like RequireUpperBoundDeps, except instead of comparing version
numbers, it would compare scope. Here's the source for that check if
someone wanted to use it as a starting point:
https://maven.apache.org/enforcer/apidocs/src-html/org/apache/maven/plugins/enforcer/RequireUpperBoundDeps.html
.

Having worked on a fairly large project for a few years, my team hasn't
been bitten by this issue, so I probably won't write this myself. It's
usually pretty consistent which dependencies are for test scope (e.g.
JUnit) and which are not (e.g. Guava), so it just hasn't come up that an
upstream library has used a different scope than we have. But if someone
were to implement this plugin I would include it in our projects just in
case.

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Taddiken <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Young <ja...@procentive.com>.