Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Martin Edge <Ma...@asmorphic.net.au> on 2009/07/02 03:56:56 UTC

recommended CPU type for PCL creation

Hey Guys,

In your experience, and any knowledge of today's CPUs and Servers - What
would be the most recommended configuration for processing from;

FO -> AT -> PCL

Where the PCL file uses custom fonts and therefore draws most as bitmaps.
I'm probably getting about 2,322Kb a minute at this point.

Thanks!
Martin

Re: recommended CPU type for PCL creation

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 02 Jul 2009, at 03:56, Martin Edge wrote:

Hi Martin

> In your experience, and any knowledge of today's CPUs and Servers -
> What
> would be the most recommended configuration for processing from;
>
> FO -> AT -> PCL
>
> Where the PCL file uses custom fonts and therefore draws most as
> bitmaps.
> I'm probably getting about 2,322Kb a minute at this point.

There is really no set of known recommendations. I guess it depends on
what kind of throughput you aim for...
At any rate, CPU and hardware are only a part of the picture. Using a
more recent Java VM is almost always going to gain something. Since
you're a user of the intermediate area tree format, you may also want
to check out whether your requirements can be met by the new
Intermediate Format[*] in FOP Trunk, since that offers a significant
performance boost compared to the AT format.

Regards

Andreas

[*] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/intermediate.html#strengths-if

Andreas Delmelle