Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Shifman <ma...@yale.edu> on 2004/03/15 20:24:27 UTC

jsvc.exec error

I just installed and init.d script for jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19.  I am
running linux  2.4.21-9.ELsmp.

The edited Tomcat5.sh script seems to work fine but I get  this message
logged to catalina.out when I stop tomcat:

jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return value of 143

I checked jsvc-unix.c but it doesn't really say anything except the
child may not have exited cleanly.

ps doesn't show any obvious orphans or zombies.

Whats going on?  How can I fix this.

thanks

mas

RE: jsvc.exec error

Posted by Mariano <ml...@sescam.org>.
I have this shell script to use with Tomat 5.0.19 with Fedora Core 1 and
works fine:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for Tomcat 5.0
#
# chkconfig: 345 84 16
#
# Small shell script to show how to start/stop Tomcat using jsvc
# If you want to have Tomcat running on port 80 please modify the server.xml
# file:
#
#    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 80 -->
#    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
#               port="80" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
#               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
#               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
#
# You need a developement version of Tomcat (Apache Tomcat/4.1-dev)
#
# Adapt the following lines to your configuration
JAVA_HOME=/var/j2sdk
CATALINA_HOME=/var/tomcat
DAEMON_HOME=/var/tomcat/bin
TOMCAT_USER=tomcat
TMP_DIR=/var/tmp
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
CLASSPATH=\
$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar:\
$DAEMON_HOME/commons-daemon.jar:\
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/bootstrap.jar

case "$1" in
  start)
    #
    # Start Tomcat
    #
    $DAEMON_HOME/jsvc \
    -user $TOMCAT_USER \
    -home $JAVA_HOME \
    -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
    -Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMP_DIR \
    -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
    -errfile '&1' \
    $CATALINA_OPTS \
    -cp $CLASSPATH \
    org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap