Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Barry Whiting <ba...@londonmarketing.com> on 2008/11/17 10:33:08 UTC

SVG Image Fonts in fop

Hi

I wondered if anybody could help at all here please.

I have a SVG image that has been saved into a file and is placed as a
background image inside a pdf file using fo and the fop engine.

I have tried embedding the fonts into the pdf but the svg still does not
retain correct fonts when rendered in the pdf.  I have posted on the fop
forum but they pointed me in this direction as they let me know that
batik actually handles the image in fop.

If you could help me try to solve this I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Barry

RE: SVG Image Fonts in fop

Posted by Barry Whiting <ba...@londonmarketing.com>.
Hi Jeremias

Thanks for your response.

I tried your suggestion first on my local machine with batik and this
all worked correctly.  I used Mistral and this showed correct in the svg
in squiggle so I returned the font back to ArialMT on my local machine
and this looked corrected in squiggle.  I know the fonts are the same on
the server as they were installed from the same ttf files so I'm going
to go back to my system guys to see exactly what they have done to
install the fonts maybe there is some light there.

Thanks for all your help

Barry

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 17.11.2008 11:43:19 Barry Whiting wrote:
> Hi Jeremias
>
> Sorry if I've caused offence there was none meant.

Barry, you didn't cause offence. I just don't like rethorical questions.
I'm sorry if I came across a little grumpy (which I am sometimes).

> We have tried installing the fonts on the server and I have added the
> <auto-detect/> but the fonts are still not used correctly in the svg I'm
> afraid.  I've even tried using
> <directory>file:///data/webroot/www.londontown.com/HotelPrintMap/fonts</
> directory> before the auto detect tag to give a base for the config.

Hmm, I think we need to approach this from a different angle. The
difficulty here might be the selection of font-family names. Batik
primarily uses the AWT fonts. For PDF output we try to find a match for
the font that was actually used (the AWT font could have been silently
substituted). So even if you have "ArialMT" in your SVG and the font is
reported by AWT as "Arial MT", you might not Arial MT at all. For each
font, there can be different font names: font family name, PostScript
name and potentially others. As an experiment, it can make sense to
do the following: Open the SVG file in the Batik Squiggle Browser. That
takes the PDF output code out of the picture for the experiment. Replace
the font-families in the SVG by something else: just "Arial", for
example. Or some exotic font to find out if Batik actually picks that
font and under what name. You can also look into the font file itself to
identify the font names it's reporting. When you got hold of the right
font-family names, I'd go back to PDF output. Maybe this helps. Good
luck.

> Thank you for all your help Jeremias again I'm sorry if I caused
> offence.
>
> Barry

Jeremias Maerki

RE: SVG Image Fonts in fop

For reference, here's the thread on fop-users:
http://markmail.org/message/wwr5ekuyyzh2nix5

Barry, I don't think we've sent you here. This is a FOP issue (as long
as the PDF transcoding code resides in FOP). Anyway, your thread ended
with your asking if you should install the fonts on the server. I don't
like constantly asking questions with "Yes." if you could just have
spent 2 minutes actually doing that and trying out the result. Just to
let you know: With your test files I've been able to get non-stroked
text when I have the necessary fonts installed on both the operating
system and FOP's configuration (FOP 0.95). Actually, I just used
<auto-detect/> in the configuration. Good luck.

On 17.11.2008 10:33:08 Barry Whiting wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wondered if anybody could help at all here please.
>
> I have a SVG image that has been saved into a file and is placed as a
> background image inside a pdf file using fo and the fop engine.
>
> I have tried embedding the fonts into the pdf but the svg still does
not
> retain correct fonts when rendered in the pdf.  I have posted on the
fop
> forum but they pointed me in this direction as they let me know that
> batik actually handles the image in fop.
>
> If you could help me try to solve this I would be eternally grateful.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Jeremias Maerki

Re: SVG Image Fonts in fop

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
For reference, here's the thread on fop-users:
http://markmail.org/message/wwr5ekuyyzh2nix5

Barry, I don't think we've sent you here. This is a FOP issue (as long
as the PDF transcoding code resides in FOP). Anyway, your thread ended
with your asking if you should install the fonts on the server. I don't
like constantly asking questions with "Yes." if you could just have
spent 2 minutes actually doing that and trying out the result. Just to
let you know: With your test files I've been able to get non-stroked
text when I have the necessary fonts installed on both the operating
system and FOP's configuration (FOP 0.95). Actually, I just used
<auto-detect/> in the configuration. Good luck.

On 17.11.2008 10:33:08 Barry Whiting wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wondered if anybody could help at all here please.
>
> I have a SVG image that has been saved into a file and is placed as a
> background image inside a pdf file using fo and the fop engine.
>
> I have tried embedding the fonts into the pdf but the svg still does not
> retain correct fonts when rendered in the pdf.  I have posted on the fop
> forum but they pointed me in this direction as they let me know that
> batik actually handles the image in fop.
>
> If you could help me try to solve this I would be eternally grateful.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Jeremias Maerki