Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by "Cogan, Peter (Peter)" <Pe...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2012/11/01 14:43:13 UTC

Set the number of maps

Hi

I understand that the maximum number of concurrent map tasks is set by mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum  - however I wish to run with a smaller number of maps (am testing disk IO). I thought that I could set that within the main program using

conf.set("mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximuma", "4");

to run with 4 maps – but that seems to have no impact. I know I could just change the mapred-site.xml and restart map reduce but that's kind of a pain. Can it be set from within the code?

Thanks

Peter

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by "Cogan, Peter (Peter)" <Pe...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Thanks for your answers!

From: Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 19:03:23 +0100
To: peter cogan <pe...@alcatel-lucent.com>>
Cc: "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Set the number of maps

The option since 0.21 was renamed to mapreduce.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum, and like
Harsh said to you, is is a TaskTracker service level option.

Another thing is that this option is very united to the mapreduce.child.java.opts, so , make sure
to monitor constantly the effect of these changes in your cluster.

On 11/01/2012 11:55 AM, Harsh J wrote:

It can't be set from the code this way - the slot property is applied
at the TaskTracker service level (as the name goes).

Since you're just testing at the moment, try to set these values,
restart TTs, and run your jobs again. You do not need to restart JT at
any point for tweaking these values.

--

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
about.me/marcosortiz<http://about.me/marcosortiz>

[http://universidad.uci.cu/email.gif]<http://www.uci.cu/>
<http://www.uci.cu/>

<http://www.uci.cu/>
<http://www.uci.cu/>
<http://www.uci.cu/>

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by "Cogan, Peter (Peter)" <Pe...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Thanks for your answers!

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by "Cogan, Peter (Peter)" <Pe...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Thanks for your answers!

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by "Cogan, Peter (Peter)" <Pe...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Thanks for your answers!

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

--

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Set the number of maps

Posted by Bejoy KS <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter

'mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum' is not for setting an upper cap on the map tasks spawned by a job. This property is used to set the map slots on each TaskTracker. It is TaskTracker level property and cannot be overriden on a per job basis.

To control the number of map tasks for your job you need to increase the value for min and max split sizes.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Re: Set the number of maps

Re: Set the number of maps