Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Tomas Kaulakys <T....@omnitel.net> on 2002/02/27 13:27:30 UTC

JetspeedTemplateLocatorService hard to extend

Hi,

The problem with JetspeedTemplateLocatorService class is that it is almost impossible to extend.
I was trieing to add a new sort of templates using the Jetspeed directory structure. I managed to find the entry services.TemplateLocator.classname=org.apache.jetspeed.services.template.JetspeedTemplateLocatorService
in the JetspeedResources.properties file, so the next step was to change the entry so it points to my own class extending JetspeedTemplateLocatorService. But every basic method of that class such as locateTemplate(...) is PRIVATE, so that an extending class cannot use it. In fact the whole class is written in a strange manner, but my questions are -
Is it going to be public in the next release?
How do I extend the TemplateLocator to support later Jetspeed releases?

Tomas Kaulakys

Re: JetspeedTemplateLocatorService hard to extend

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

--- Tomas Kaulakys <T....@omnitel.net> wrote:

> The problem with JetspeedTemplateLocatorService class is that it is
> almost impossible to extend.
> I was trieing to add a new sort of templates using the Jetspeed
> directory structure. I managed to find the entry

services.TemplateLocator.classname=org.apache.jetspeed.services.template.JetspeedTemplateLocatorService
> in the JetspeedResources.properties file, so the next step was to
> change the entry so it points to my own class extending
> JetspeedTemplateLocatorService. But every basic method of that
> class such as locateTemplate(...) is PRIVATE, so that an extending
> class cannot use it. In fact the whole class is written in a
> strange manner, but my questions are -
> Is it going to be public in the next release?

If somebody finds it useful to be... like you perhaps.

> How do I extend the TemplateLocator to support later Jetspeed
> releases?

Submit a proposal/patch for making it more extendable and it may well
be done.

Chris

=====
Need somewhere to Live in London? - Then go to http://freeflats.com