Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Bill Whillers <mo...@whohasit.com> on 2007/04/13 01:15:13 UTC

Charts and Graphs

Hello,

I'm wondering what people are using for efficiently generating charts and
graphs on the fly from within a mod_perl environment.  I've been using
GD::Graph for a while but I'm hoping to get a bit more feature-deep.  I'm not
terribly concerned about getting a bit more complicated if it means better
efficiency and/or better control, etc.

Any suggestions?

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by David Nicol <da...@gmail.com>.
There's always gnuplot; also if GD does some things that the wrapper you
are using does not provide hooks for, there's always Inline::C.  Another very
cool tool worth a look is graphwiz and its tool suite, which I only know about
because it was required to get automatic documentation to work (autodoc?)
in some extensive open source package (freeswitch?) I recently set up.

--
"Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and
other states" -- current hotmail ESMTP greeting

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by Mike Schienle <mg...@customvisuals.com>.
On Fri, April 13, 2007 12:25 pm, Tyler Gee wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Bill Whillers <mo...@whohasit.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm wondering what people are using for efficiently generating charts and
>> graphs on the fly from within a mod_perl environment.  I've been using
>> GD::Graph for a while but I'm hoping to get a bit more feature-deep.  I'm
>> not
>> terribly concerned about getting a bit more complicated if it means better
>> efficiency and/or better control, etc.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Just to add to the mess, I use a Java package called KavaChart from Visual
Engineering - <http://www.ve.com>. I have some examples on my site at
<http://www.customvisuals.com/>.

Mike Schienle

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by Beginner <de...@sciencephoto.com>.
On 13 Apr 2007 at 7:25, Tyler Gee wrote:

> On 4/12/07, Bill Whillers <mo...@whohasit.com> wrote:
> > Hello,

> I was just contsidering using SWF::Chart.  Has anyone used that
> successfully or what issues would there be (other than the fact that
> it is flash).

Yes I have used it and found it to be fine. It results in "pleasing"
charts. You might want to be able to script it so that you ensure
that the viewer is capable of viewing flash files and provide a GD
alternative for those who are not. The only down-side is that unless
you pay for a license and the user clicks on the chart, they will be
wisked away to http://www.maani.us.

Basically the module produces an XML file that you refer to in the
html page as an <object> and <embed> tag (use both for cross browser
compatibility). The docs at http://www.maani.us/charts/index.php
should give you all the details you need to get it running.

HTH,
Dp.

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by Tyler Gee <ge...@gmail.com>.
On 4/12/07, Bill Whillers <mo...@whohasit.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering what people are using for efficiently generating charts and
> graphs on the fly from within a mod_perl environment.  I've been using
> GD::Graph for a while but I'm hoping to get a bit more feature-deep.  I'm not
> terribly concerned about getting a bit more complicated if it means better
> efficiency and/or better control, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?

I was just contsidering using SWF::Chart.  Has anyone used that
successfully or what issues would there be (other than the fact that
it is flash).

~Tyler

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.
Sean Davis wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 19:15, Bill Whillers wrote:
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Have you looked at using gnuplot or R?

There's also something RRDTool. Or you can go a different route and use
Javascript for the presentation:
http://www.solutoire.com/plotr

--
Michael Peters
Developer

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by ma...@kiritsov.com.
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 19:15, Bill Whillers wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm wondering what people are using for efficiently generating charts
>> and
>> graphs on the fly from within a mod_perl environment.  I've been using
>> GD::Graph for a while but I'm hoping to get a bit more feature-deep.
>> I'm
>> not terribly concerned about getting a bit more complicated if it means
>> better efficiency and/or better control, etc.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Have you looked at using gnuplot or R?
>
> Sean

Or may be ploticus ?

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by Sean Davis <sd...@mail.nih.gov>.

Re: Charts and Graphs

Posted by Robert Landrum <rl...@aol.net>.
Bill Whillers wrote:
> I'm wondering what people are using for efficiently generating charts and
> graphs on the fly from within a mod_perl environment.  I've been using
> GD::Graph for a while but I'm hoping to get a bit more feature-deep.  I'm not
> terribly concerned about getting a bit more complicated if it means better
> efficiency and/or better control, etc.

Not an opensource solution...  But we implemented Corda with pretty good
success.  GD only got us so far before we wanted graphs that were a bit
more "Executive-friendly".

It ain't easy to use though.  But the graphs are hard to beat.

Rob