Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Lam <ml...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/25 03:34:10 UTC

Tomcat does not work through iptables

I have apache 1.3.26 and Tomcat 3.3.1, tomcat works
correctly within the internal network but does not
work through the firewall when I access it from the
outside. I am using iptables and i know the router
config is ok because apache works correctly but tomcat
does not when using ajp13 or listening directly to
port 90. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Tomcat does not work through iptables

Posted by Atif Shahab <as...@mail.bii-sg.org>.
This is not tomcat configuration problem, you need to set you iptables
properly.

However, if you've set apache and tomcat via a connector then apache
should foward all the requests pertaining to jsp/servlets to tomcat.  This
forwarding is normally done internally so your iptables rules shouldn't
kick in.  Few simple tests will be

1.  access apache from an external network
	if you're able to access good
	else check your iptables
2.  access tomcat from an external network
	if you're able to access then maybe you want to tweak your
iptables to prevent this from happening
	else you're blocking the port
3.  access tomcat from the server running apache
	a simple way to do so would be to telnet to the tomcat "server
port"
	if you're able to do so then there is no firewall blocking your
access
	else fix the firewall to allow you to do so

4.  Now you should be able to access tomcat via the ajp13 connector.  If
you're unable to do so then it's your configuration problem and shouldn't
be a network issue.