Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gavin Woodhatch <ga...@netzone.ch> on 2002/06/24 00:48:09 UTC

Tomcat Stops Apache / Requests Hang (webapp connector)

Hi All

After a Apache restart or reload, or just
about every 1 or 2 days, Apache stops serving requests.

Restarting Apache does not help. Only a restart of Tomcat and then a
restart of Apache helps. The exact reason why this happens is unknow to me.

My guess (without being a Programmer or otherwise insider) is that the
requests get "eaten up" by mod_webapp, and never make it down the module chain
correctly.

We are using Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.3 (mod_webapp 1.34) I have
used the standard  warp.jar file that ships with Tomcat 4.0.3.
I also tried building the mod_webapp connector from the Tomcat 4.0.4
(it then was still RC-something, or beta4 don't remember what..)
CVS tree. The mod_webapp module does not work at all (does not forward
connections to tomcat), I then tried replacing the warp.jar file. It
works, but we still have those hangs.

Our setup is as follows :

2 Apache webservers connect (via warp) to one tomcat server (single jvm) .
each Apache server has about 150 - 200 processes, so the tomcat server
has to handle about 400 connections.

The Applications are deployed inside <Host> elements, so it is a
"shared" Tomcat Server.

We host a rather large amount of websits on this system, (couple of
1000) and as of current maybe 10 have tomcat/mod_webapp setup.
This instability is very annonying, and is upsetting our customers.
The last idea i have is to try the newly released tomcat 4.0.4, but if
that doesn't help .. i am at the end of my wisdom. We will be
upgrading to Apache 1.3.24 shortly.

I hope somebody has an idea on this one.

--

Freundliche GrĂ¼sse (Kind Regards)

NetZone AG (Ltd.)
Gavin Woodhatch

*  NetZone AG (Ltd.)                                 Webhosting  *
*  http://www.netzone.ch                     info-at-netzone.ch  *
*  Alpenweg 12                            Tel. +41 62 724 08 08  *
*  CH-5035 Unterentfelden                 Fax. +41 62 724 08 06  *