Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/07 16:57:46 UTC

set up a cassandra cluster with ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr?

Hi,

I'm struggling to set up a cassandra cluster with
ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr. (I'm not sure if the issue is
caused by Cassandra or Whirr so I cc-ed both lists).

Here are the steps I took

- use whirr to lauch a cassandra (version 0.8) cluster
- ssh into each instances and do
1) kill cassandra
2) edit "partitioner" field in cassandra.yaml from
"org.apache.cassandra.dht.RandomPartitioner" to
"org.apache.cassandra.dht.ByteOrderedPartitioner"
3) edit 'JMX_PORT" in cassandra-env.sh from 7199 to 8080 (whirr bind
JMX to port 8080)
3) delete "/var/lib/cassandra/data"
4) run cassandra again

in the end, I got my cluster back but when I do 'describe cluster'
inside cassandra-cli, it shows the cluster is still running
RandomPartitioner. What am I missing? Thanks.

Regards,

-k

Re: set up a cassandra cluster with ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm struggling to set up a cassandra cluster with
> ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr. (I'm not sure if the issue is
> caused by Cassandra or Whirr so I cc-ed both lists).
>
> Here are the steps I took
>
> - use whirr to lauch a cassandra (version 0.8) cluster
> - ssh into each instances and do
> 1) kill cassandra
> 2) edit "partitioner" field in cassandra.yaml from
> "org.apache.cassandra.dht.RandomPartitioner" to
> "org.apache.cassandra.dht.ByteOrderedPartitioner"
> 3) edit 'JMX_PORT" in cassandra-env.sh from 7199 to 8080 (whirr bind
> JMX to port 8080)
> 3) delete "/var/lib/cassandra/data"
> 4) run cassandra again
>
> in the end, I got my cluster back but when I do 'describe cluster'
> inside cassandra-cli, it shows the cluster is still running
> RandomPartitioner. What am I missing? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> -k

Changes to the YAML file after the node has started even once will not work.
You have to change the file before launching the cluster.

Edward

Re: set up a cassandra cluster with ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr?

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
I have a similar scenario where I had to modify the cassandra.yaml on our
cassandra ring after install.  I got around that by putting a copy of our
yaml file out on S3, and modifying the install_cassandra.sh script to pull
down my custom yaml file from S3 instead of using the stock one that comes
with the cassandra install.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Tom White <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know about Cassandra configuration, but you can avoid having
> to restart the cluster by changing the Whirr Cassandra scripts before
> launch. See
> http://incubator.apache.org/whirr/faq.html#How_can_I_modify_the_instance_installation_and_configuration_scripts
>
> Cheers,
> Tom
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm struggling to set up a cassandra cluster with
> > ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr. (I'm not sure if the issue is
> > caused by Cassandra or Whirr so I cc-ed both lists).
> >
> > Here are the steps I took
> >
> > - use whirr to lauch a cassandra (version 0.8) cluster
> > - ssh into each instances and do
> > 1) kill cassandra
> > 2) edit "partitioner" field in cassandra.yaml from
> > "org.apache.cassandra.dht.RandomPartitioner" to
> > "org.apache.cassandra.dht.ByteOrderedPartitioner"
> > 3) edit 'JMX_PORT" in cassandra-env.sh from 7199 to 8080 (whirr bind
> > JMX to port 8080)
> > 3) delete "/var/lib/cassandra/data"
> > 4) run cassandra again
> >
> > in the end, I got my cluster back but when I do 'describe cluster'
> > inside cassandra-cli, it shows the cluster is still running
> > RandomPartitioner. What am I missing? Thanks.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -k

John C

Re: set up a cassandra cluster with ByteOrderedPartitioner using whirr?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,