Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr> on 2016/03/18 17:07:53 UTC

Problem when consuming storm metrics

Dear all,

I have a question about metrics and how they are consumed:
I launch my topology. During 3 or 4 minutes, I receive my metrics. Then
no more logs.
It's look like the process that is consuming the metrics has a dead lock
or is blocked by a time out.

Here comes some information about the context:
  - I am using storm 0.9.4.
  - Some metrics are defined by defaut (eg emit-count.default) some
other are customed.
  - I am sure that my topology is still running.
  - According to Storm UI, the number of messages emiting by my bolts is
increasing. In other words, metrics are still computing and send somewhere.
  - I try two instances of LoggingMetricsConsumer: in file
(backtype.storm.metric.LoggingMetricsConsumer) and in graphite
(com.verisign.storm.metrics.GraphiteMetricsConsumer).
  - I can reproduce it on 2 different machines.
  - No error are logged (worker, metric, supervisor).
  - I am using storm since 1 year and I never seen this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Denis

---

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Dear all,

I hope that this issue is now fixed.

I rewrote all my code related to metrics and now it is working.
- All my code is now based on ReducedMetric
- I removed all my static code.

Thanks a lot for your patience and your help.
Denis

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Dear all,

Please find enclose the full thread dump. I hope that you can find some
promishing information.

I did the following experiments:
  - Reproduce the problem with the ExclamationTopology (storm starter).
But I fail.
  - Activate acking (there is no acking in my toplogy). But I still have
the problem.

Sorry for the delay between my two posts.
Thanks for our help.

Denis

---

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> no more logs.
>>> It's look like the process that is consuming the metrics has a dead lock
>>> or is blocked by a time out.
>>>
>>> Here comes some information about the context:
>>>  - I am using storm 0.9.4.
>>>  - Some metrics are defined by defaut (eg emit-count.default) some other
>>> are customed.
>>>  - I am sure that my topology is still running.
>>>  - According to Storm UI, the number of messages emiting by my bolts is
>>> increasing. In other words, metrics are still computing and send somewhere.
>>>  - I try two instances of LoggingMetricsConsumer: in file
>>> (backtype.storm.metric.LoggingMetricsConsumer) and in graphite
>>> (com.verisign.storm.metrics.GraphiteMetricsConsumer).
>>>  - I can reproduce it on 2 different machines.
>>>  - No error are logged (worker, metric, supervisor).
>>>  - I am using storm since 1 year and I never seen this problem.

Abhishek Agarwal

Re: Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Jungtaek,

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Hi,

Thanks for you help.

I did many tests with version 0.9.6 but I did not find any improvement.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Denis,

2016년 3월 29일 (화) 오후 5:41, Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>님이 작성:

Posted by Denis DEBARBIEUX <dd...@norsys.fr>.
Hi all,

Re: RE : Problem when consuming storm metrics

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.
It would be a good idea to take thread dump when logging stops. That could
give some clues

Excuse typos

Posted by Abhishek Agarwal <ab...@gmail.com>.