Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ilango dhandapani <il...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/18 18:16:52 UTC

Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Am trying to upgrade my solr (cloud mode ) from 5.3 to 6.0 version. My Zk
verison is 3.4.6.

After updating schema and starting solr as 6.0, all the nodes health look
fine. When I add new files and they goto all the shards, faceting stops
working. I have a UI where the files are displayed ( search from solr) and
this functionality is impacted. But am able to search for any 5.3 indexed
file but only faceting is not functioning as expected.

Tried several attempts like delete collection/config, take index backup from
5.3, clear index and place them back after upgrade. All tried resulted in
faceting not working with 5.3 and 6.0 data combined.

I can clean up index and upgrade to 6.0 and reindex all from my DB. Here
faceting works fine.

Problem is I have less data in non prod but I have ~280 million records in
prod and is growing daily. So cleaning and reindexing all of them from DB is
going to take weeks.

Is there a better way to handle this scenario ?

Thanks,
Ilango

Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Posted by ilango dhandapani <il...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn. It worked after i explicitly mentioned docValues=False for the
fields am using in managed-schema.
So in case if I need to re index from scratch in new version, is there any
better way of doing that quickly ?

Thanks,
Ilango

Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You cannot go from 5->8 true. However, you also cannot go from 5->6->7->8. As of Lucene 8, Lucene will refuse to open an index that has ever been touched by Lucene 6, no matter whether you’ve used IndexUpgraderTool, reindexed all your data etc.

So you’ll have to plan on re-indexing from your system of record when you go to Solr 8 no matter what, so why not now?

Best,
Erick

Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Got to the latest 6x release if you must stick with 6x.

Why not leapfrog all the way to 8?

Erick

Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Posted by ilango dhandapani <il...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/18/2019 12:16 PM, ilango dhandapani wrote:
> Tried several attempts like delete collection/config, take index backup from
> 5.3, clear index and place them back after upgrade. All tried resulted in
> faceting not working with 5.3 and 6.0 data combined.

Most likely what happened here is that the field classes you're using
changed so they default to docValues="true" in version 6.  When
docValues is enabled on a field, Solr will use docValues for faceting
and sorting ... and the existing data in the index from the old version
may not actually have any docValues data.

> I can clean up index and upgrade to 6.0 and reindex all from my DB. Here
> faceting works fine.
>
> Problem is I have less data in non prod but I have ~280 million records in
> prod and is growing daily. So cleaning and reindexing all of them from DB is
> going to take weeks.

You could *try* explicitly setting docValues="false" on the fields where
you need to facet so that Solr will not try to use docValues for
faceting ... but I can't guarantee that this is going to actually work.

Really what you need to do is reindex from scratch on the new version.

Thanks,
Shawn