Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Kent Närling <ke...@seamless.se> on 2008/07/31 15:55:18 UTC

Regarding custom format...

Hi,

We have a customer that insists on having FULL ISO 8601 dates (ie with
timezone)

However instead of using proper a extension datatype for this, they have
modified the standard <dateTime.iso8601> type to use this format!
ie. they expect dates like this:
<dateTime.iso8601>20080730T19:39:10+0000</dateTime.iso8601>

Now, as far as I can see, this is not possible to work around easily, so I
ended up patching the xmlrpc-commons code to allow this.
(extension datatypes has to have their own id prefixes with "ex:" etc?)
Also, we also direly need the user agent fix , so I had to compile the trunk
build anyway ...

Now, this was a "late night hack" and I am not so fond of having to do this,
but it works for now at least.

However, I wanted to verify here if my conclusion is correct? or IS there a
more elegant way of solving this? (without modifying the library)

Best regards,
Kent

Re: Regarding custom format...

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Kent Närling <ke...@seamless.se> wrote:

> We have a customer that insists on having FULL ISO 8601 dates (ie with
> timezone)
>
> However instead of using proper a extension datatype for this, they have
> modified the standard <dateTime.iso8601> type to use this format!
> ie. they expect dates like this:
> <dateTime.iso8601>20080730T19:39:10+0000</dateTime.iso8601>
>
> Now, as far as I can see, this is not possible to work around easily, so I
> ended up patching the xmlrpc-commons code to allow this.

Why do you think so? This is quite easy. See

    http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/advanced.html

The example is even using the date tag for overwriting.

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

 -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)