Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2002/12/15 13:34:47 UTC

[general] procedure for releases [WAS Re: Comment on [VOTE][collections] Functors, dependency from collections to lang]

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 03:53 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>>> I think this proposal would be more accurately considered a product
>>> change
>>> (it removes public classes from a released component and adds a new
>>> dependency to a released component, arguably it changes the scope of two
>>> released components) and hence would require [lazy] consensus approval.
>>> I.e., this is a veto-able action.
>>>
>>> <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html>
>>
>> I shall treat it as such then, thanks.
>
> Though the quality of this document seems negated by:
>
> "Release Testing
>
>  After a new release is built, it must be tested before being released to
> the public. Majority approval is required before the release can be made.
> Once a release is approved by the Committers, the Project Management
> Committee can authorize its distribution on behalf of the Foundation."
>
> Who are we meant to be asking on the PMC for a go-ahead when we release a
> component? I've never seen that happen.

AFAIK

from recent discussions on the foundation lists, i believe that this is
the way that it should work (for the future). i suppose that the once the
release vote has been approved for the release candidate, the release
manager should probably ask the jakarta PMC to authorize (on behalf of the
foundation) distribution of the release. once permission has been received,
  then the release can be distributed.

anyway, this is probably not the best forum for discussion of this
question. i'm not sure whether general@jakarta, pmc@jakarta or community@a
pache (or one of the other foundation lists) is the right place.

perhaps someone who knows more could provide a more definitive answer.

- robert