Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Matt Lewandowsky <ma...@iamcode.net> on 2006/06/14 20:21:59 UTC

Re: new entries in mime.types for application/octet-string - applicability of IANA registry?

Message from colm@stdlib.net at Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:52:26 +0100:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:32:50AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> jar is another question: Is there a reason not to add jar to the set
>> of extensions for application/octet-stream?
>
> application/java-archive is a common return for that one :-)
>
> Here's my full-list, based on what a lot of obscure software
> demands/expects:

This topic is one I've had to help many people with over the years for
serving applications to wireless devices. In addition to .jar, the
following is useful:

      text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad

This mime type is already in mime.types, but there is no extension for
it, by default. This causes no end of grief for people who are serving
J2ME apps for the first time as Sun is quite picky about the mime type
being returned by the server, often.

So, if .jar makes it in, I'd personally like to see
text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor get the jad extension. :)

Also, AFAIK, there is no other mime type which could be used for a .jad
file. :)

Sorry for hijacking this further away from "application/octet-stream",
but I really don't like that mime type, as a rule. ;)

Warmest,

--Matt

--
/*