Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alvaro Cobo <co...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/24 22:16:03 UTC

[users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server

Hi guys:

I am a newbie and this is my first post. I would like to have your wise advice. The problem is as follows:

I have a domain and a paid hosting which serves our mail and some pages. Additionally to this I would like to have my own server with Apache, where I would like to host a subdomain. For this task I have a static IP address, a server and an ADSL connection to internet at home.

So when the experiment is ready I will have: www.mydomain.com at 200.xxx.x.xxx in an external hosting and subdomain.mydomain.com at 205.xxx.xxx.xxx hosted in my own server at home)

The questions are as follows:

Is this possible to do that?.

Is this subject related to the server configuration or it is more related to the DNS server configuration?.

Is there any specific directive I have to take in account in the moment of configuring my httpd.conf?.

Any clue will be very, very, very appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Alvaro

PD: I have read the Apache IP-Based and Apache Name-Based Virtual Host support documents, but I am still confused.

Re: [users@httpd] IP based subdomain in second server

Posted by John Elkins <jo...@vermontdatabase.com>.
You can't have a domain in different places, far as I know.  But, you can put a page on your domain at www.mydomain.com/subdomain, and have it refresh to your ADSL-connected server.  refresh is an http command in the page header.

John Elkins
400 Upper Hollow Hill Rd.
Stowe, VT  05672
Home: 802-253-4146