Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/12/29 15:46:09 UTC

[MINA][ASN.1] M2 based build and repo configuration completed

Hi,

I'd like to unfreeze the ASN.1 and MINA projects today and remove the
old folders in the repo to prevent confusion and accidental work on
them.  I have migrated both these projects into directory/trunk as well
as their tags and branches into directory/releases and
directory/branches respectively.  So if people like the setup I'd like
to unfreeze immediately and switch development to use this format.  I
will then continue on to migrate the other projects.

So let me know and I will remove the old structures.

Alex

Re: [MINA][ASN.1] M2 based build and repo configuration completed

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

2005/12/29, Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>:

> I'd like to unfreeze the ASN.1 and MINA projects today and remove the
> old folders in the repo to prevent confusion and accidental work on
> them.  I have migrated both these projects into directory/trunk as well
> as their tags and branches into directory/releases and
> directory/branches respectively.  So if people like the setup I'd like
> to unfreeze immediately and switch development to use this format.  I
> will then continue on to migrate the other projects.

It looks good, and the build process got much faster.  Thank you for working
on this by yourself, Alex!

But now we cannot check out MINA only (and ApacheDS either if we migrate to
the new structure) with only one 'svn co' command; we need as many commands
as the number of subprojects.  We could use subversion externals here, but
externals brings a problem to developers like us who checks out the whole
repository (i.e. duplicate contents, long time to checkout)

I think this is because we have many subprojects under the directory
project, and each subproject has its own subprojects.  This implies that
completely flat structure is not suitable for us.  I'm sorry for not
addressing this early, but I realized this just a few minutes ago.  Having
one common trunk was really good idea, but having mina-build directory which
contains parent pom.xml for all mina subprojects are not reasonable.  This
structure is better IMHO:

mina/pom.xml (was: mina-build/pom.xml)
mina/core/... (was: mina)
mina/ssl/... (was: mina-ssl)
apacheds/pom.xml
apacheds/core/...

Yes, this is not much different from our previous structure unfortunately.
But we don't have many trunks now, so we can check out the code more
efficiently without externals.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
PGP Key ID: 0x854B996C

Re: [MINA][ASN.1] M2 based build and repo configuration completed

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On 12/29/2005 6:46 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to unfreeze the ASN.1 and MINA projects today and remove the
>> old folders in the repo to prevent confusion and accidental work on
>> them.  I have migrated both these projects into directory/trunk as
>> well as their tags and branches into directory/releases and
>> directory/branches respectively.  So if people like the setup I'd
>> like to unfreeze immediately and switch development to use this
>> format.  I will then continue on to migrate the other projects.
>>
>> So let me know and I will remove the old structures.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> I'm still tinkering around in asn1/branches.  Can I be moved to a
> sandbox?

I already took care of you :).  I moved your work on the compiler into
sandbox/adc/asn1-compiler.  Should be a no brainer to point IDEA to it
in sandbox.  Let me know if you need it put back for any reason.

Regards,

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 12/29/2005 6:46 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to unfreeze the ASN.1 and MINA projects today and remove the
> old folders in the repo to prevent confusion and accidental work on
> them.  I have migrated both these projects into directory/trunk as
> well as their tags and branches into directory/releases and
> directory/branches respectively.  So if people like the setup I'd like
> to unfreeze immediately and switch development to use this format.  I
> will then continue on to migrate the other projects.
>
> So let me know and I will remove the old structures.
>
> Alex

I'm still tinkering around in asn1/branches.  Can I be moved to a sandbox?

Regards,
Alan

Re: [MINA][ASN.1] M2 based build and repo configuration completed

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Trustin Lee wrote:

> 2005/12/29, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net
> <ma...@bellsouth.net>>:
>
>     So let me know and I will remove the old structures.
>

> Sure.  Go ahead!

Great it's done.  directory/asn1 and directory/network are now gone.

> Another aspect I forgot to mention is that we need to figure out the
> best way to organize both stable and development (trunk) branch
> effectively.  I don't have any idea on this yet, but we could create a
> directory called 'trunk-stable' instead of 'branches'.

Hmmm that's odd because you only have one trunk right?  Basically your
'trunk-stable' is a stable branch.  directory/branches can hold these IMO.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.