Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Leszek Gawron <ou...@vip.net.pl> on 2003/03/05 17:15:30 UTC

refering to: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonUpgrade

I think it would be nice if cocoon.xconf could be docomposed into several
files. why ? Now when changin cocoon version I have to:
0. build appropriate version (now it's easy as no javadocs/examples/docs are
included)
1. edit web.xml file to include database driver class loading (obviously that
connot be moved elsewhere)
2. edit cocoon.xconf:
	- remove standard datasource (that exists there even if you do not include
	  samples, but include database block)
	- add my own datasources
	- add my own logicsheets
	- add my custom components (I do not have ones but surely will have in the
	  future)
3. customize logkit (add my own categories so I can search entries faster)
4. Default sitemap automounts subsitemaps now so it's enough just to copy the
files

What's wrong with that ? if you have one additional datasource and one
logicsheet- no problem, but when changing versions in more complicated
environment it may drive you nuts.

The solution would be to allow users create their own cocoon.xconf files
(residing in the same place as sub-sitemap.xmap that defines local custom
enhancements). The file could be loaded and components initialized the first
time users accesses a subsitemap. Is it at all posible ? Same for logkit?
	ouzo
--
            __
        \_\\  //_/      ouzo@vip.net.pl          _\\()//_

Re: refering to: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonUpgrade

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> I think it would be nice if cocoon.xconf could be docomposed into several
> files.

This is planned for Cocoon 2.2 since each block will contain its own
component configuration file.

Re: refering to: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonUpgrade

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> I think it would be nice if cocoon.xconf could be docomposed into several
> files. why ? Now when changin cocoon version I have to:
> 0. build appropriate version (now it's easy as no javadocs/examples/docs are
> included)
> 1. edit web.xml file to include database driver class loading (obviously that
> connot be moved elsewhere)
> 2. edit cocoon.xconf:
> 	- remove standard datasource (that exists there even if you do not include
> 	  samples, but include database block)
> 	- add my own datasources
> 	- add my own logicsheets
> 	- add my custom components (I do not have ones but surely will have in the
> 	  future)
> 3. customize logkit (add my own categories so I can search entries faster)
> 4. Default sitemap automounts subsitemaps now so it's enough just to copy the
> files
>
> What's wrong with that ? if you have one additional datasource and one
> logicsheet- no problem, but when changing versions in more complicated
> environment it may drive you nuts.
>
> The solution would be to allow users create their own cocoon.xconf files
> (residing in the same place as sub-sitemap.xmap that defines local custom
> enhancements). The file could be loaded and components initialized the first
> time users accesses a subsitemap. Is it at all posible ? Same for logkit?

Other possibility would be that you write a patch (diff -u WRT a clean
config tree) and store it, to be applied when upgrading, and checked
manually (always needed, as configs tend to have new/changed semantics
every now and then), even if the patch succeeds.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
      Santiago