Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> on 2016/10/04 03:46:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] Path to support for Activity Streams 2.0

All,

Several parties on the mailing list have brought up adoption of Activity Streams 2.0 as an important step forward for the project, and I completely agree.

To help frame the conversation around making this happen, I’ve created two resources for your review, and welcome suggestions and questions.

1 - a pull request to the w3c activity streams github with an implementation report written as if all existing Apache Streams functionality were AS 2.0 compatible.

https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/pull/356

2 - a wiki page with some high-level notes of a logical (I think) sequence of steps to move from only AS 1.0 support to full AS 2.0 support.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Activity+Streams+2.0

Please feel free to submit comments on or changes to either document.  Let me know if you need additional permissions, you’ll get them.

There’s a lot to sort out to make this happen, and it’ll require a lot of work from more than just myself, but it’s entirely achievable within several release cycles.  If we (Apache Streams) don’t continue to maintain and evolve the translations between proprietary social networking service APIs and standard formats that we’ve started, it’s far from clear that any other community is in the wings to step up and do so.

As a brief aside, the ActivityPub draft spec circulating among the w3c social web working group is quite interesting and ready like a requirements document for a chunk of the project’s original founding goals.  A perfectly natural extension of what we’ve built here and a good challenge to potentially tackle in 2017.  If you aren’t subscribed to the SocialWG mailing list, consider joining (you can use your @apache.org address)

Steve

Re: [DISCUSS] Path to support for Activity Streams 2.0

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:47 PM sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>

> Several parties on the mailing list have brought up adoption of Activity
> Streams 2.0 as an important step forward for the project, and I completely
> agree.

+1.  IMO it is important to making the project more visible to the wider AS
community.

> To help frame the conversation around making this happen, I’ve created two
> resources for your review, and welcome suggestions and questions.
>

> 1 - a pull request to the w3c activity streams github with an
> implementation report written as if all existing Apache Streams
> functionality were AS 2.0 compatible.
>

> https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/pull/356

Though premature, I like that you are engaging other communities that might
have members who are interested in the work here.

> 2 - a wiki page with some high-level notes of a logical (I think) sequence
> of steps to move from only AS 1.0 support to full AS 2.0 support.
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Activity+Streams+2.0

I will submit comments on the wiki page as well as the related PRs.