Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/12/06 20:59:04 UTC

Rules for Revolutionaries

James Duncan Davidson was able to resurrect this document.  In Jakarta, we
treat this effectively as a part of our bylaws, and I recommend that we do
so here to in xml-land.

The concepts expressed in this e-mail are timeless, and in particular, have
a direct bearing on the ongoing potential WASP contribution discussion.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Rules for Revolutionaries

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@systinet.com>.
Hi Sam,

first, I don't really want to push WASP to Apache. There was an idea (in
Systinet) to contribute it (somehow) and I just want to know what the axis
teams thinks about such contribution. Maybe I'm sometimes too
straightforward (due to the lack of my time) - how, when, where, etc.

On the other hand, I don't think that the Rules for Revolutionaries fully
applies to the potential WASP contribution. We are not talking about a patch
to Axis or about better Envelope API. WASP Lite is about 5 megabytes of
code. I simply cannot treat it as a revolutionar brach of Axis since any
revolutionar branch should have a chance to be merged with the trunk
somewhen in the future. And I simply do not see such a chance. That is all.
This is why I'm hesitating to dump the code as a 'proposal' and then wait
what will happen with that.

And making separate revolutionary for-ever-branch in Axis doesn't make sense
for me at all.

For me, the conclusion is that it wasn't probably a good idea to contribute
the Java code...

Anyway, the C++ stuff is five times smaller and there is no such framework
on Apache. So the whole situation is completely different.

So, is this acceptable for axis-dev community:
Systinet will start to prepare a contribution to /c/wasp (or whatever name
you decide) as soon as it'll be ready. Java stuff will be discussed on the
dev list further with very opened end... I.e. there is no relation between
Systinet's C++ and Java contribution.

If yes, I'm ready to learn the rules and any technical hints how to
contribute the C++ code. How would you like the contribution to happen, etc.
I'm also ready to introduce guys working on this project in Systinet whose
will obviously have to be approved as axis commiters.

Radovan

Radovan Janecek
VP, Engineering, Systinet  (formerly Idoox)
http://www.systinet.com