Posted to users@isis.apache.org by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/12 06:03:02 UTC

'Generating' User Help Documentation

Hi all,

I just added an issue to Jira suggesting enhanced user help documentation
via the F1 key or some other means [1](system user as opposed to system
developer).

There is a bigger question in my mind about how user documentation gets
created - as a process - that is maybe worthy of discussion. Specifically,
the idea that in an DDD and Naked Objects project such documentation should
be created at the same time that code is written and maybe even be embedded
within code in some way.

In most projects I see the user documentation (if there is any) as being
relevent to developers, certainly that is the way its done with the Apache
Isis demo projects and Add-ons, where the Github README files are basic
explanations of the functionality and how its acheived in code. So the user
documenation is an initial subset of the developer/maintainer
documentation. Another way to look at it is that the user doccumentation is
useful to explain the models 'ubiquitous language' both to new developers
and to users.

Maybe there is a way to process the code and embedded comments to generate
user documentation that could actually work in an Apache Isis project,
given the close relationship between class and methods and what the user
sees?

I see that if you add any tags, not only HTML tags to comments then Javadoc
preserves them, that would suggest that a customised Doclet might work as a
means to achieve this. I like this general idea, given the recent
discussion of adding UML diagrams to Javadoc. Maybe the idea of an specific
Apache Isis Project doclet (or doclets) makes sense?

You can select a custom doclet in Eclipse, but I have no experience as yet
in creating one.

On the other hand, people seem happy with Asciidoc, and I will give that a
try in the short term.

Regards
Steve Cameron

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-1307

Re: 'Generating' User Help Documentation

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

"outside the code - but close to it" does seem like a better solution,
asciidoc and markdown do seem to have become a defacto standards. (No one
was ever meant to write XML directly).

It seems there are tools that go from asciidoc to DocBook as well [2], if
that is is specific interest for creation of true documents.

The overlay idea is good too, I was thinking of something like in Eclipse
where you can then press 'F2 for focus' to scroll in the overlay dialog.

[2] http://asciidocfx.com/

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Stephen,

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.
Clarification: it reads JavaDoc comments, like the standard JavaDoc Doclet.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com