Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org> on 2009/10/02 22:11:15 UTC

Advantages of different Servlet Containers

I know that the Solr FAQ says

"Users should decide for themselves which Servlet Container they
consider the easiest/best for their use cases based on their
needs/experience. For high traffic scenarios, investing time for tuning
the servlet container can often make a big difference."

but is there anywhere that lists some of the variosu advantages and
disadvantages of, say, Tomcat over Jetty for someone who isn't current
with the Java ecosystem?

Also, I'm currently using Jetty but I've had to do a horrific hack to
make it work under init.d in that I start it up in the background and
then tail the output waiting for the line that says the SocketConnector
has been started

   while [ '' = "$(tail -1 $LOG | grep 'Started SocketConnector')"  ] ;
   do
       sleep 1
   done

There's *got* to be a better way of doing this, right?

Thanks,

Simon

Re: Advantages of different Servlet Containers

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
AOL uses Tomcat for all Solr deployments. Our load balancers use a ping
query to put a box back into rotation.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>wrote:

> Netflix uses Tomcat throuought and they tail the log to figure out whether
> it has started, except they look for a message from Solr to see whether
> Solr is ready to go to work.
>
> wunder

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: Advantages of different Servlet Containers

Posted by Lajos <la...@protulae.com>.

Posted by Joshua Tuberville <Jo...@eharmony.com>.
Simon,

Have you tried the bin/jetty.sh script that comes with Jetty
distributions?  It contains the standard start|stop|restart functions.

Joshua