Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by co...@collegeclub.com on 2000/11/11 22:51:50 UTC

question on DBIx::Recordset PrevNextForm

Is there any way to hide the form data that the DBIx::Recordset
PrevNextForm function generates?  i just noticed that if someone does a
etc.  That doesn't seem very secure even though this is a pretty cool
subroutine to have.  I'm using embed perl to handle these request so
perhaps there might be another mechanism that works with DBIx::Recordset
that does the same thing without having to write that kind of sensitive
information as hidden fields?  Thanks

Why is College Club the largest and fastest growing college student site?
Find out for yourself at http://www.collegeclub.com

Re: question on DBIx::Recordset PrevNextForm

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> Is there any way to hide the form data that the DBIx::Recordset
> PrevNextForm function generates?  i just noticed that if someone does a
> etc.  That doesn't seem very secure even though this is a pretty cool
> subroutine to have.  I'm using embed perl to handle these request so
> perhaps there might be another mechanism that works with DBIx::Recordset
> that does the same thing without having to write that kind of sensitive
> information as hidden fields?  Thanks

Normaly there are no sensitive data in hidden fields. The hidden fields only
contain the data, you send to the page. That means when you request the page
with a link http://host/db.epl?username=foo&password=secret you will find
the username and the password in the hidden fields, but that's not the fault
of DBIx::Recordset. More exactly, DBIx::Recordset uses the values from
%fdat, so if you add your username and your password to %fdat, they will
also apear in the hidden fields. In this case either delete them from %fdat,
before you call PrevNextForm or better never put them in.

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151