Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Frank Krauss <fm...@mindspring.com> on 2003/05/09 00:37:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem in httpd.conf with CustomLog statement

Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to isolate the data from the various Viruses in my logs
from the normal data in access_log.

Based on information that I got from various Web sites on how to do this,
I'm specifing the following commands at the bottom of my httpd.conf file.

LogFormat       "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common
SetEnvIf Request_URI "^/default.ida" attacks
CustomLog logs/virus_log common env=attacks
CustomLog logs/access_log common env=!attacks

The results of using these statements are as follows:
1.   The Virus data does go into the virus_log file as mentioned in the
     first CustomLog statement.
2.   At the same time though, the access_log file is still also getting the
     Virus data logged in it.  This is NOT what I expected to happen based
     on my understanding of the purpose of the second CustomLog statement.

I thought that the purpose of the second CustomLog statement was to keep
everything that did NOT match to the data specified in the SetEnvIf statement
out of the access_log file.

My System Information is:
   Operating System:      Linux   - 2.4.18
   Apache:                2.0.36

Is there perhaps something simple that I'm doing wrong that is causing this
small but aggravating problem for me?

If there is any additional information that someone needs in order to solve
this problem, I will be glad to supply it.

Yours truly,

Frank Krauss