Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/30 16:25:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Should File based IOs implement readAll() or just readFiles()

Hello,

A ‘recent’ pattern of use in Beam is to have in file based IOs a
`readAll()` implementation that basically matches a `PCollection` of
file patterns and reads them, e.g. `TextIO`, `AvroIO`. `ReadAll` is
implemented by a expand function that matches files with FileIO and
then reads them using a format specific `ReadFiles` transform e.g.
TextIO.ReadFiles, AvroIO.ReadFiles. So in the end `ReadAll` in the
Java implementation is just an user friendly API to hide FileIO.match
+ ReadFiles.

Most recent IOs do NOT implement ReadAll to encourage the more
composable approach of File + ReadFiles, e.g. XmlIO and ParquetIO.

Implementing ReadAll as a wrapper is relatively easy and is definitely
user friendly, but it has an  issue, it may be error-prone and it adds
more code to maintain (mostly ‘repeated’ code). However `readAll` is a
more abstract pattern that applies not only to File based IOs so it
makes sense for example in other transforms that map a `Pcollection`
of read requests and is the basis for SDF composable style APIs like
the recent `HBaseIO.readAll()`.

So the question is should we:

[1] Implement `readAll` in all file based IOs to be user friendly and
assume the (minor) maintenance cost

or

[2] Deprecate `readAll` from file based IOs and encourage users to use
FileIO + `readFiles` (less maintenance and encourage composition).

I just checked quickly in the python code base but I did not find if
the File match + ReadFiles pattern applies, but it would be nice to
see what the python guys think on this too.

This discussion comes from a recent slack conversation with Łukasz
Gajowy, and we wanted to settle into one approach to make the IO
signatures consistent, so any opinions/preferences?

Re: [DISCUSS] Should File based IOs implement readAll() or just readFiles()

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
For info both AvroIO ReadAll/ParseAll and TextIO ReadAll deprecations
were merged into master today and will be part of 2.13.0.

For those working in other SDKs (Python, Go) please pay attention to
not implement such transforms (or deprecate them too if already done)
to keep the API ideas coherent.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Should File based IOs implement readAll() or just readFiles()

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Łukasz Gajowy <lg...@apache.org>.
+1 to deprecating and not implementing readAll() in transforms where
it is equivalent to matchAll() + readMatches() + readFiles().

It encourages and advertises the use of a nice, composable api reducing the
amount of code to be maintained.

can the Python/Go SDK align with this?

+ 1 to that too.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Eugene Kirpichov <ki...@google.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
I meant TextIO.readFiles(). As you mention Cham they are in reality the 'same'.

  TextIO.readAll = FileIO.match() . FileIO.readMatches . TextIO.readFiles

And this pattern can be repeated to all other file-based IOs. The
whole point of this discussion is to decide if such 'wrapper' tranform
(ReadAll) makes sense or not in order to be consistent in all IOs (we
aren't at this moment as I mention in detail in the first post).

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.