Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/02 14:57:56 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.10 release

Hi

So the Java 7 support is now done.
And when CXF 2.6.1 is out, we should be in a shape for a release.

I have created a JIRA version 2.11, and moved some tickets from 2.10 to that.
As we should focus on closing the last bugs, minor improvements etc.
And keep eye on the CI servers to have a good build.
And test the examples. I think the twitter example is broken.

Anything in particular you would like in 2.10, that are not yet done?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.10 release

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, June 02, 2012 02:57:56 PM Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> So the Java 7 support is now done.
>> And when CXF 2.6.1 is out, we should be in a shape for a release.
>>
>> I have created a JIRA version 2.11, and moved some tickets from 2.10 to
>> that. As we should focus on closing the last bugs, minor improvements
>> etc. And keep eye on the CI servers to have a good build.
>> And test the examples. I think the twitter example is broken.
>
> Could we NOT do that and just un-assign a fix-version in the future?   If
> someone is not actively working on it, it shouldn't have a version (or a an
> assignee).    People may see those and say "oh, someone is fixing it for
> 2.11, cool" and then 2.11 comes along and it gets moved.

Yeah that could be a good idea next time.

In general though its the people who have tickets assigned that should
once in a while
check their tickets and reassign/move etc. appropriately.

Maybe after the 2.10 release we could also cleanup the JIRA tickets.
There are untouched tickets that are becoming rather old, etc.
Also tickets about technologies that may not be any priority anymore etc.

Anyway lets get the 2.10 out of the door first.

> Dan
>

>> Anything in particular you would like in 2.10, that are not yet done?

>> > We'll need/want to wait for CXF 2.6.1 which I hope to build later
>> > tonight or tomorrow.

>> > We'll also need/want to wait for 2.5.4 for a similar reason.   I'm also
>> > bit uncomfortable saying "last official".    2.8.0 was released last
>> > July so I would expect about one more before a full year of patches is
>> > up.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Daniel Kulp
>> > dan@kulp.com
>> > http://dankulp.com/blog
> --
> Daniel Kulp

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
+1, would be less confusing.

Posted by David Karlsen <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to that.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.10 release

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Ok, let's focus on the last *MUST* include issues to follow the release
early, release often Apache guideline...
I asked on the ServiceMix dev@ list for a new ServiceMix bundle release.

Best,
Christian

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Babak Vahdat
<ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
> Good morning Claus
>
>> So does quickfix 1.5.2 work with Java 7?
>
> YES, with some really minor changes by it's source I could build it
> successfully (including green unit-tests) *both* using JDK 6 as well as JDK
> 7. However I only tested on my Mac:
>
> ~>mvn -version
> Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 09:44:56+0100)
> Maven home: /Users/bvahdat/dev/apache-maven-3.0.4
> Java version: 1.7.0_06-ea, vendor: Oracle Corporation
> Java home:
> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_06.jdk/Contents/Home/jre
> Default locale: de_DE, platform encoding: UTF-8
> OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.7.4", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
>
> As you already proposed we could also forget this step for 2.10 as a known
> issue. But IMHO that would be really a pitty to skip this for 2.10 as making
> it happen is *so* trivial and easy.
>
> The question is only how long it takes to have a bundle for it (which is a
> easy task as well)?

We need other bundles as well for the 2.10 release, such as the AWS
updated bundles.
The AWS 1.3.8 release has some improvements that already is in the
camel-aws components.
But the OSGi bundle is on 1.3.0 release. So we need this updated 1.3.8
bundle release.
Also qpid 0.16 would be nice, for the AMQP stuff. And there may be a
few others as well.

So the 1.5.2 quickfix could be an addition.

We should get on the SMX @dev list and ask them to cut a release of
bundles for us, that we need
for the 2.10 release.

> Babak

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Good morning Claus

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, June 06, 2012 05:14:01 PM Babak Vahdat wrote:
> Hi Christian
>
> according to what I've read many times by this thread I assumed we do
> always skip running the OSGi tests on CI-Servers so why I did already
> check-in the update for QuickFIX/J but apparently I did misunderstand
> something here.
>
> I'm also puzzled about the last JDK7 build:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Camel.trunk.fulltest.java7/127/
>
> Although I did enable the camel-quickfix module inside POM:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/camel/trunk/components/pom.xml?view=log&pathr
> ev=1346880

You removed the java6 profile which enabled it on j6.  However, you didn't
add it back into the main modules list at the top.  Thus, it's not not
enabled at all on any platform.

> It was still skipped through Jenkins! I also don't own the required rights
> on Jenkins, for example for hitting a manual build, etc. Do you know who
> I can ask for that right?

I just added you.   If you re-login to Jenkins, it should pick it up.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] - Apache Camel 2.10 release

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Christian

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
<ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
> The Java 7 support is not completely done yet as camel-quickfix is still the
> last missing piece of the task (currently disabled on the CI-Server). I did
> play around with upgrading to quickfixj 1.5.2 which first had some
> compilation error as well as unit-test failures (NPE) which I easily could
> fix locally. I'm just waiting for the bundle of it:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SMX4-1153

So does quickfix 1.5.2 work with Java 7?

Regardless of what its not a showstopper for the Camel 2.10 release.
We can add to known issues that camel-quickfix is known to not work
with Java7 due QuickFix itself.

The release will be built using java 6, and thus the camel-quickfix
component will be included.

> Babak
>

> Claus Ibsen-2 wrote
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> So the Java 7 support is now done.
>> And when CXF 2.6.1 is out, we should be in a shape for a release.
>>
>> I have created a JIRA version 2.11, and moved some tickets from 2.10 to
>> that.
>> As we should focus on closing the last bugs, minor improvements etc.
>> And keep eye on the CI servers to have a good build.
>> And test the examples. I think the twitter example is broken.
>>
>> Anything in particular you would like in 2.10, that are not yet done?

>>> We'll need/want to wait for CXF 2.6.1 which I hope to build later tonight
>>> or
>>> tomorrow.

>>> We'll also need/want to wait for 2.5.4 for a similar reason.   I'm also a
>>> bit uncomfortable saying "last official".    2.8.0 was released last July
>>> so
>>> I would expect about one more before a full year of patches is up.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Daniel Kulp
>>> dan@
>>> http://dankulp.com/blog