Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chuck Carson <Ch...@syrrx.com> on 2002/10/08 02:29:58 UTC

Tomcat won't work with jdk 1.4.0

I am running the binary distribution of tomcat 4.0.5 on Solaris 8. It
works with jdk1.3.1_05, but I am trying to get it running with
jdk1.4.0_02 and I get the following exception in catalina.out:

Exception during startup processing
        at
a:39)
        at
Impl.java:25)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category
        at
org.opennms.web.authenticate.Authentication.<clinit>(Authentication.java
:39)
        at
org.opennms.web.authenticate.OpenNMSTomcatRealm.<init>(OpenNMSTomcatReal
m.java:125)
Method)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorA
ccessorImpl.java:39)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingCons
tructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at
java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.ObjectCreate.start(XmlMapper.java:617)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java:412)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.startElement(XmlMapper.java:91)
        at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.startElement(XMLReaderAdapter.java:
329)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startElement(SAXParser.java:1376)
        at
org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callStartElement(XMLVal
idator.java:1284)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(XMLDocumentSc
anner.java:1806)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatc
h(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1182)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScan
ner.java:381)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)
        at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.parse(XMLReaderAdapter.java:223)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:228)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:725)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
CC

----------
the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.

Re: Tomcat won't work with jdk 1.4.0

Posted by "Brzezinski, Paul J" <Pa...@EDS.COM>.
Raj Saini wrote:

> I am not using JK2. I am using Jk. btw, why do you need the
> jk2.properties file. Your problem is some where else. jk2.properties
> is used by the apache not by the tomcat (If I am not wrong).

jk2.properties is used by tomcat, workers2.properties is used by Apache.

> From your exception is seems that you dont have common-logging.jar
> file in your $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib directory. It supposed to be part
> of the distribution. If the the file is there, then it is not inculded
> in your classpath. This also should be done automatically, if you have
> not modified any thing.

$Tomcat_home/common/lib contains the following
activation.jar           jasper-compiler.jar      naming-common.jar
ant.jar                  jasper-runtime.jar       naming-factory.jar
commons-collections.jar  jdbc2_0-stdext.jar       naming-resources.jar
commons-dbcp.jar         jndi.jar                 servlet.jar
commons-logging-api.jar  jta.jar
commons-pool.jar         mail.jar

$Tomcat_home/server/lib contains the following
catalina-ant.jar          mx4j-jmx.jar              servlets-webdav.jar
catalina.jar              mx4j.license              tomcat-coyote.jar
commons-beanutils.jar     servlets-cgi.renametojar  tomcat-http11.jar
commons-digester.jar      servlets-common.jar       tomcat-jk.jar
commons-logging.jar       servlets-default.jar      tomcat-jk2.jar
commons-modeler.jar       servlets-invoker.jar      tomcat-util.jar
jaas.jar                  servlets-manager.jar      tomcat-warp.jar
jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar    servlets-ssi.renametojar

Since this is *the* server attempting to start, I thought it would
reference server/lib before searching for classes in common/lib

BTW: this is straight out of the gzip'd tarball.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@emerging-trade.com>.
I am not using JK2. I am using Jk. btw, why do you need the
jk2.properties file. Your problem is some where else. jk2.properties is
used by the apache not by the tomcat (If I am not wrong).

 From your exception is seems that you dont have common-logging.jar file

Posted by "Brzezinski, Paul J" <Pa...@EDS.COM>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@emerging-trade.com>.
Hi,