Posted to dev@falcon.apache.org by Ajay Yadava <aj...@apache.org> on 2016/09/01 14:55:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0

Hello everyone,

Now that 0.10 has been successfully released, thanks to heroic efforts of
Balu, I think it is time to start discussion on our long pending 1.0
release :) I specifically want to discuss the following items.

*Scope / Change Threshold for calling it 1.0*

We need to decide on the bare minimum changes to call it 1.0  I know at
least 2 views on this in the community

   1. First view is that 1.0 is all about API stability, Once we have
   stabilized the existing API, we can call it 1.0. There are already some
   changes committed to trunk like a new shell, moving post processing to
   server side, REST API Revamp and some more lifecycle changes which will
   definitely come in 1.0 This should be enough to do a meaningful 1.0 release.
   2. Another view is that we need to have lot of marketable features and
   new capabilities to call it 1.0 so that we can publicize it enough and ask
   audience to reconsider falcon even if they found Apache Falcon short for
   their use cases.

Please chime in with your thoughts :)

*Call for Volunteer*

As discussed in last developer sync up, Pragya communicated to me that she
has very high work load at her office and will not be able to take out time
for release activities. If there are any committers who haven't yet done a
release and want to volunteer for 1.0, then please reply to this thread,
else I will assume the role of Release Manager for 1.0. Many release
activities require karma available only to committers, hence only
committers can volunteer.

Regards
Ajay Yadava

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0

Posted by Peeyush Bishnoi <bp...@yahoo.co.in.INVALID>.
+1 .
Falcon 1.0, must have extensible XSD to add or perform new changes quickly and easily.
Thanks,---Peeyush

    On Friday, 2 September 2016 2:24 PM, Pallavi Rao <pa...@inmobi.com> wrote:

 +1 for Option 1. Falcon is no longer in its infancy and warrants 1.x
releases.

When we do the marketable features, we can do a 2.0. :-)

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0

Posted by Praveen Adlakha <pr...@inmobi.com>.
I agree with the idea that 1.0 is next logical milestone for the project
and I like going ahead with option 1.

If we need some critical fixes in 0.10 we can make an interim release.

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> Agreed. Will initiate a parallel thread in some time to discuss that,
> while we continue to invite views on 1.0 release on this.
> RegardsSrikanth Sundarrajan
>
> > From: ajayyadava@apache.org
> > Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 06:36:09 +0000
> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0
> > To: dev@falcon.apache.org
> >
> > Hello Srikanth,
> >
> > Excellent point. I think everyone is in favor of API stability and
> > versioning irrespective of 1.0 or not, however I suspect it may mean
> > different things for different people(e.g. backward incompatible?). I
> think
> > it will be useful to have that discussion again in open to bring everyone
> > on same page. Would you like to start a discuss thread with summary of
> your
> > thoughts?
> >
> > Regards
> > Ajay Yadava
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM Srikanth Sundarrajan <sriksun@hotmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Am +1 for 1.0 release and also feel that newer and more attractive
> > > features can follow. I dont know if there was any outcome on the
> approach
> > > to API versioning discussion that we had earlier this year, we should
> > > re-initiate that discussion and close if there is general consensus
> for 1.0.
> > > RegardsSrikanth Sundarrajan

> efforts of

> at

> > > some
> processing to
> > > will
> 1.0
> > > release.
> features and
> > > and ask
> short
> > > for

> that
> > > she
> out
> > > time
> done
> thread,

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0

Posted by Pallavi Rao <pa...@inmobi.com>.

wrote:

> Agreed. Will initiate a parallel thread in some time to discuss that,
> while we continue to invite views on 1.0 release on this.
> RegardsSrikanth Sundarrajan
>
> > From: ajayyadava@apache.org
> > Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 06:36:09 +0000
> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Falcon 1.0
> > To: dev@falcon.apache.org
> >
> > Hello Srikanth,
> >
> > Excellent point. I think everyone is in favor of API stability and
> > versioning irrespective of 1.0 or not, however I suspect it may mean
> > different things for different people(e.g. backward incompatible?). I
> think
> > it will be useful to have that discussion again in open to bring everyone
> > on same page. Would you like to start a discuss thread with summary of
> your
> > thoughts?
> >
> > Regards
> > Ajay Yadava
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM Srikanth Sundarrajan <sriksun@hotmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Am +1 for 1.0 release and also feel that newer and more attractive
> > > features can follow. I dont know if there was any outcome on the
> approach
> > > to API versioning discussion that we had earlier this year, we should
> > > re-initiate that discussion and close if there is general consensus
> for 1.0.
> > > RegardsSrikanth Sundarrajan

> efforts of

> at