Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2015/06/12 12:09:52 UTC

Remove Hadoop 1 support (Hadoop <2.2) for Spark 1.5?

How does the idea of removing support for Hadoop 1.x for Spark 1.5
strike everyone? Really, I mean, Hadoop < 2.2, as 2.2 seems to me more
consistent with the modern 2.x line than 2.1 or 2.0.

The arguments against are simply, well, someone out there might be
using these versions.

The arguments for are just simplification -- fewer gotchas in trying
to keep supporting older Hadoop, of which we've seen several lately.
We get to chop out a little bit of shim code and update to use some
non-deprecated APIs. Along with removing support for Java 6, it might
be a reasonable time to also draw a line under older Hadoop too.

I'm just gauging feeling now: for, against, indifferent?
I favor it, but would not push hard on it if there are objections.

Re: Remove Hadoop 1 support (Hadoop <2.2) for Spark 1.5?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
0.23 (and hive 0.12) code base in Spark works well from our perspective, so
not sure what you are referring to. As I said, I'm happy to maintain my own
plugins but as it stands there is no sane way to do so in Spark because
there is no clear separation/developer APIs for these.

cheers,
Tom

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
I don't like the idea of removing Hadoop 1 unless it becomes a significant maintenance burden, which I don't think it is. You'll always be surprised how many people use old software, even though various companies may no longer support them.

With Hadoop 2 in particular, I may be misremembering, but I believe that the experience on Windows is considerably worse because it requires these shell scripts to set permissions that it won't find if you just download Spark. That would be one reason to keep Hadoop 1 in the default build. But I could be wrong, it's been a while since I tried Windows.

Matei

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Yeah so Steve, hopefully it's self evident, but that is a perfect
example of the kind of annoying stuff we don't want to force users to
deal with by forcing an upgrade to 2.X. Compare the pain from Spark
users of trying to reason about what to do (and btw it seems like the
answer is simply that there isn't a good answer). And that will be
experienced by every Spark users who uses AWS and the Spark ec2
scripts, which are extremely popular.

Is this pain, in aggregate, more than our cost of having a few patches
to deal with runtime reflection stuff to make things work with Hadoop
1? My feeling is that it's much more efficient for us as the Spark
maintainers to pay this cost rather than to force a lot of our users
to deal with painful upgrades.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
I feel this is quite different from the Java 6 decision and personally
I don't see sufficient cause to do it.

I would like to understand though Sean - what is the proposal exactly?
Hadoop 2 itself supports all of the Hadoop 1 API's, so things like
removing the Hadoop 1 variant of sc.hadoopFile, etc, I don't think
that makes much sense since so many libraries still use those API's.
For YARN support, we already don't support Hadoop 1. So I'll assume
what you mean is to prevent or stop supporting from linking against
the Hadoop 1 filesystem binaries at runtime (is that right?).

The main reason I'd push back is that I do think there are still
people running the older versions. For instance at Databricks we use
the FileSystem library for talking to S3... every time we've tried to
upgrade to Hadoop 2.X there have been significant regressions in
performance and we've had to downgrade. That's purely anecdotal, but I
think you have people out there using the Hadoop 1 bindings for whom
upgrade would be a pain.

In terms of our maintenance cost, to me the much bigger cost for us
IMO is dealing with differences between e.g. 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6 where
major new API's were added. In comparison the Hadoop 1 vs 2 seems
fairly low with just a few bugs cropping up here and there. So unlike
Java 6 where you have a critical mass of maintenance issues, security
issues, etc, I just don't see as compelling a cost here.

To me the framework for deciding about these upgrades is the
maintenance cost vs the inconvenience for users.

- Patrick

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
My 2 cents: The biggest reason from my view for keeping Hadoop 1 support
was that our EC2 scripts which launch an environment for benchmarking /
testing / research only supported Hadoop 1 variants till very recently.  We
did add Hadoop 2.4 support a few weeks back but that it is still not the
default option.

My concern is that people have higher level projects which are linked to
Hadoop 1.0.4 + Spark, because that is the default environment on EC2, and
that users will be surprised when these applications stop working in Spark
1.5. I guess we could announce more widely and write transition guides, but
if the cost of supporting Hadoop1 is low enough, I'd vote to keeping it.

Thanks
Shivaram

Posted by Ram Sriharsha <sr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Hadoop 2.2+