Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Sujee Maniyam <su...@sujee.net> on 2011/09/12 09:22:29 UTC

tutorial : HBase performance testing

Hi all
I have an article online, that shows how do some quick benchmarks on a HBase
cluster.
http://sujee.net/tech/articles/hbase-performance-testing/

feedbacks / thoughts welcome.

thanks very much
Sujee Maniyam
http://sujee.net

Re: tutorial : HBase performance testing

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
nice. thanks.
St.Ack

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Sujee Maniyam <su...@sujee.net> wrote:
> hehe J-D (hopefully first name!)

:)

> I agree with your point that pre-splitting the  table can make a big
> difference.
>
> Do the later versions of 'PerformanceEvaluation' class has an option to
> pre-split the table?   I remember,  when I ran this for the first time,
> only one region server is busy until the table split.  But second time
> around, all the region-servers were hit with requests.

No, this wasn't added. Nicolas had this idea tho:

> I just peeked at the code for this class, and it does NOT truncate the
> table.  So subsequent runs benefit from split tables already.  And it looks
> like it is overriding the rows.
>
> ** So I will mention this, and say to ignore the first run and only measure
> subsequent runs.  what do you think? **

It will still be splitting a ton, even tho it's on multiple servers.

J-D

Re: tutorial : HBase performance testing

Posted by Sujee Maniyam <su...@sujee.net>.
hehe J-D (hopefully first name!)
I agree with your point that pre-splitting the  table can make a big
difference.

Do the later versions of 'PerformanceEvaluation' class has an option to
pre-split the table?   I remember,  when I ran this for the first time,
only one region server is busy until the table split.  But second time
around, all the region-servers were hit with requests.
I just peeked at the code for this class, and it does NOT truncate the
table.  So subsequent runs benefit from split tables already.  And it looks
like it is overriding the rows.

** So I will mention this, and say to ignore the first run and only measure
subsequent runs.  what do you think? **

thanks for your feedback.
Sujee
http://sujee.net

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@gmail.com>.
On 12/09/11 17:05, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:
> Also you referred to "George Lars", I don't understand those crazy
> Europeans that give their child two first names either (joking) but
> I'm 99.9999% sure it's the other way around :)

... and what to say about those Europeans who inherit a first name as
family name (smile)

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Hi Sujee,