Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jacob Weber <ja...@jacobweber.com> on 2009/12/10 19:06:02 UTC

Suggestion: log --same-path

I'd like to get some feedback on a feature idea for Subversion: a flag in the "log" command that causes it to not follow copies, but to continue showing the same path after it sees a copy operation.

Following copies is useful for seeing the changes to a file's content, but sometimes you need to see the changes to a particular path.

For example, say you had two files A/B/C and X/Y/Z at rev 1. Then you deleted X/Y/Z at rev 2. Finally you copied A/B/C to X/Y/Z at rev 3.

If you did a normal "svn log X/Y/Z", it would show you:
  r3: X/Y/Z (from A/B/C)
  r1: A/B/C

There's no way to you to know that there was an earlier version of X/Y/Z. But if you did "svn log --same-path X/Y/Z", it would show you:
  r3: X/Y/Z@3 (from A/B/C)
  r1: X/Y/Z@1

This would be a useful complement to the way SVN distinguishes between operative and pegged revisions. A normal "svn log" will only help you find operative revisions. But currently there's no easy way to find a pegged revision for a path, if it's been deleted or replaced by a copy from somewhere else.

What do you guys think? Is this a possibility?

Re: Suggestion: log --same-path

Posted by Andreas Schweigstill <an...@schweigstill.de>.
Hello!

Jacob Weber schrieb:
> If you did a normal "svn log X/Y/Z", it would show you:
>   r3: X/Y/Z (from A/B/C)
>   r1: A/B/C
>
> There's no way to you to know that there was an earlier version of X/Y/Z. But if you did "svn log --same-path X/Y/Z", it would show you:
>   r3: X/Y/Z@3 (from A/B/C)
>   r1: X/Y/Z@1

This would be a nice feature, especially when working with branches or
tags wheres sometimes the question arises if there has ever been such
a branch or tag before which got deleted later.

Currently the only possibility seems to be doing a full "svn log" and
grep.

When implementing such a feature there should also be some information
if an earlier version was of the same type as the current element
(regular file, directory, special file/symbolic link).

Regards
Andreas Schweigstill

--
Dipl.-Phys. Andreas Schweigstill