Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2017/11/04 00:30:06 UTC

DISCUSSION: Minimum hbase1 version from which you can upgrade to hbase2 (1.2.x?)

Over in the adjacent "[DISCUSS] hbase-2.0.0 compatibility expectations"
thread, we chatted some on what would be the minimum hbase-1.x version from
which you can upgrade to hbase-2.

The last statement made on this topic by Sean was that only upgrades from
1.2.x, our current stable offering, or later should be supported.

There was no dissent.

We all good w/ this? Speak up if you disagree else 1.2.x becomes the
'official' minimum.

NOTES:

+ We need to agree on a minimum so we know what migrations to test.
+ It might be possible to upgrade from versions before 1.2.x but we (or at
least I -- smile) won't have tried it or run verifications to ensure all
made it over (let us know if you successfully migrate from a baseline that
precedes 1.2).
+ Hopefully we can avoid requiring Users move to the latest on the 1.2
branch. This shouldn't be necessary doing a stop/start upgrade. It might be
needed doing a rolling upgrade. Lets see.

Thanks,
St.Ack

Re: DISCUSSION: Minimum hbase1 version from which you can upgrade to hbase2 (1.2.x?)

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
bq. Don't know. Will shout if I find anything. Will try it soon (next week
or so).
Thank you sir, will wait for your note. Will also try the upgrade if time
allows and shout if find anything.

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.2 is good, but are we aware of anything that precludes 1.1? 0.98? On disk
> compatibility (HFile, WAL, AMv2) should be the limiting factor here, right?
> Wire protocols have been compatible all the while...

I don't know of anything (Anyone know of anything in here that could hamper
a migration?). I suppose I could give it a go. I was just trying to get
away with a minimal spread.
Thanks Nick,

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zach York <zy...@gmail.com>.