Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2003/11/13 23:19:50 UTC

[NOTICE] to all jakarta committers

will all jakarta committers please ensure that there apache.org email
account is set up so that it forwards mail to an account that they
read. this is very easy to configure - just log on to cvs.apache.org
using ssh and then edit the .forward file. (one way to do this is to
use vi.

type

 > vi .forward

type i then your normal email address next press ESC :x ENTER.)

official mail from the ASF is directed to your apache.org email
account. you need to be able to read it.

- robert

Re: [NOTICE] to all jakarta committers

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2003, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Or, if not forwarded, please ensure that you read mail to your
> > Apache account. For example, you can ssh to minotaur and read it
> > using pine.
>
> Which you'll be unable to do if your account has to be locked because
> of a security incident.  And the mail that explained that to you would
> be in your @apache.org mbox.  Happenend two and a half years ago.[1]

Good point. The reason I do read my mail on minotaur directly is so that I
have one place I can go, from home, work or elsewhere, to read it and,
more particularly, store it. POP doesn't help me, web clients suck, and
I'm too cheap to pay for access to an IMAP server or whatever. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/

Re: [NOTICE] to all jakarta committers

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
28 copies of spam and viruses:  I knew there was a reason I didn't read my
@apache.org email :).

However, I've added a .forward file so I can read more spam!

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Slightly OT for us at Jakarta, but would it be worth us requesting that
> infrastructure guys do this by default?

that's been policy for some time now:

	http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter

Robert's request thus applies only to people that became committers
before such a policy was put in place (or that neglected to update their
.forward file when their e-mail address changed).

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [NOTICE] to all jakarta committers

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Slightly OT for us at Jakarta, but would it be worth us requesting that
infrastructure guys do this by default?

Any person getting an apache account has another email address, so if it
by default sets up a .forward as a part of the new user creation process,
it'll save a lot of this pain.

Hen